ZX TD 1997 whistling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simoncanfer

ZX TD 1997 whistling

Post by simoncanfer »

My ZX makes a whistling noise when revved above 3000rpm under load. Having read the posts on EGR I'm wondering if this 120 000 mile engine has got bunged up with soot etc. It didn't used to whistle like this.

I intend to disable the EGR now anyway. Is there anything else that might be causing the whistle? It's a lot louder than the usual turbo whine.

Simon
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Simple things first Simon :
Try if any airducts to/fro the turbo has become loose fit or developed cracks. Thats the most common cause for increased turbowhistle.

It can be hard to trace with car standing, as the turbo is not much working when engine is not loaded.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Check the clamp that holds the back box of the exhaust pipe to the rest of it.
The one on my 2.1 wasn't done up properly, so exhaust gas was screaming out the gap it left.
Tightened it up and no more whistle.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
simoncanfer

Post by simoncanfer »

So far the exhaust system seems secure with no signs of leaks; I'm now wondering if the (cheap pattern) silencer is the source because I think it's coming from "behind me"!
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

my 97 ZX whistles too. if it still pulls hard under load, I'd suggest that there's nothing loose as a leak would manifest itself with a drop in boost pressure and performance. I don't think the whistle means there's anything wrong...
French car free zone....
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

On my '97 Xantia TD it was caused by the inlet manifold gasket going brittle and starting to break up. The whistling on that got so bad when accelerating that people often would turn and stare at the car!, it didn't seem to affect performance in any way though. I replaced the gasket with a metal one from a BX 17TD engine and it stopped the noise.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you have recently fitted a new exhaust, this can make it noiser until it soots up.