Xsara HDI - stiff clutch pedal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mad Ax
My Cars:

Xsara HDI - stiff clutch pedal

Post by Mad Ax »

This is an interesting (and frustrating) one.

Since I've had the Xsara I've been plagued by bad gearchanges and rough clutch control. Normally I pride myself on my smooth clutch operation, but the Xsara's clutch has me stumped. It seems to have stiff spots - it's not exceptionally heavy, but it's almost as if it wants to stick in certain places.

I thought a sticky pivot might be to blame, so I dived under the dashboard this evening armed with a can of spray grease to try and alleviate the problem. And was confronted by one of Citroen's worst ever ideas.

You see, most car manufacturers are happy to make do with a big old spring on their clutch pedal. Not Citroen. Oh, no, that's far too simple. Why have something proven and reliable when you can reinvent the wheel and make something complex and daft?

The Citroen clutch return spring consists of a pull-spring mounted on a bizarre cantilever assembly. This means that the spring rate varies depending on where in its travel it happens to be. Ergo, it has a tight spot right on the bite point.

Does anyone else struggle with their Xsara clutch? Has anyone succesfully retrofitted a proper spring to the pedal? Because I do so many inner-city miles in my car that if I have to put up with this sort of thing, the Xsara will very soon find itself in the free ads paper (if not embedded in the back of the car in front when I completely fail to get a perfectly normal pullaway right ;) )

Tis rather annoying, because I'm really trying hard to find some things I like about this car. It was a gift less than a week ago, is vastly better than my previous Xantia, but I just can't bring myself to be happy with it. If I sell it I will probably be disowned by my family; if I keep it, I think I'll go insane :(
Owner of The Blue Racer - a slow and dull 2000 Xsara HDI Estate SX in boring blue
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The aim of many of the strange clutch pedal constructions is to make the clutch light to operate - which can have the consequence of making the adjustment rather sensitive due to the leverages employed.

Is in fact the cable which has gone stiff?
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'm with Jeremy here.

Mind you that in general Peugeot and Citroen are not known to have clutch problems over here as LHD layout, which is how the design is born.
Many clutch problems with UK cars (RHD layout) seems to originate from a worn or misrouted cable.

Clutch cables are not an issue over here. I still stock a couple of second hand clutch cables from my long gone spares cars. I've never replaced a clutch cable on any of my BX'es over the 17 years I've owned and driven BX'es. I had to do it once on my CX though.

Thats how different things can be on just a single issue, because of LHD-RHD layout differences.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Does this Xsara definitely have a clutch cable? Mine has a hydraulic one, but I think the mk1 Xsara HDi was cable operated. Being a 2000 model (as mentioned in another post) it could be either.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

90 BHP Xsara will use the BE3 box, and have a cable operated clutch. And yes it uses an over-centre spring arrangemnet which initially holds the pedal up then pushes it down - was surprised to find this when I changed the clutch on my mate's 306 HDi 90 last year. I would change the clutch cable first (although that is no mean feat - if the car has A/C then you will need to get it discharged and disconnect the pipes where they go in the bulkhead to get enough room to get the cable out :roll: ). If this doesn't cure it, then it's new clutch time - making sure you change the nylon bushes for the pivot arm in the gearbox (again not easy - we had to drill out the clutch arm pivot pin) and the input shaft bearing / guide tube assembly. The clutch should be nice and smooth and light. Note that the HDi 90 uses a conventional push clutch, and the problems you are suffering sound like the release bearing has worn a groove in the spring fingers.
Richard W
Mad Ax
My Cars:

Post by Mad Ax »

It's a 90bhp model and has the cable-operated clutch. Maybe the cable is to blame - the throttle has a similar problem but not quite so obvious.

I'm not sure if I can't be bothered to suffer the expense and awkwardness of degassing the air-con to fix this; the whole idea of me being given the Xsara was that I wouldn't have to spend my weekends getting oily any more!

Having said that, I've got to do the cam belt next month, maybe that will give me better access - not sure having not looked at what's involved yet.

Ax
Owner of The Blue Racer - a slow and dull 2000 Xsara HDI Estate SX in boring blue
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You may be able to feel if its the cable. the classic is reluctance to release - ie it seems to stick down then suddenly let go when you start to move your foot. The other is that it seems lighter on release than when pushed down.

Reminds me of when I bought a Renault 21 many years ago - clutch cable felt worn - and the vendor ( a trader) said whatever you do use a genuine cable.

I duly bought a splendid looking Quinton Hazell one which seemed to be well made and had numerous lumps of rubber all over it. Fitted and all was well for about a week when it started getting heavy. Got worse till I could barely change gear - then it broke the self adjusting ratchet - so I had to buy a genuine cable and new pedal which was fine and worked well for the rest of the time I had the car.
jeremy