Help with locks and advice on diesel pump (Xantia)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Help with locks and advice on diesel pump (Xantia)

Post by elma »

I may be buying a new xantia and it has the wrong barrel on one door. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a replacement which matches the others for sensible money? Or would I be best getting a full set from a scrap yard.

Also it is missing the remote keys, how hard is it to find a plip body and get the correct key cut to fit it? Can they be reprogrammed at home as is commonly said? My friend tried and didn't manage so swapped the centrel locking brain with the one from his old car, it had a working key already and this worked for him.

Second problem is totally alien to me and I only know because the owner has been honest with me. He says that there is a spring in the pump which is something to do with when the car is starting. He says it is a bit worn so when the car first starts, sometimes, it will idle a bit erractically for a few seconds before settling down. Apparently it would be easy to mistake it for needing glowplugs but that is not the case. I don't know much about this and would appreciate any comments.

The car is a 1994 xantia 1.9td vsx.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The 'Spring' sounds like the waxstat start device used on both Roto Diesel and Bosch pumps. Its function on the Roto-Diesel is simply to operate an electrical switch which in turn operates a solenoid which advances the timing which in turn increases the idling speed and reduces pollution. The Bosch uses the same part which may function in much the same way (possibly mechanically) or on older ones simply opens the throttle a touch.

If it comes on and off then its sounds like a Bosch pump - and it may be there should be a return spring to hold it off or something. The waxstat devices are between £15 and £20 new.

GSF may do lock sets as may Eurocarparts. Worth having a look at the on-line shops. I find the easiest thing is just to use the drivers door lock and forget about about the others.
jeremy