HDi disintigrating flywheel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

HDi disintigrating flywheel

Post by Xaccers »

I've heard this mentioned several times on the forum, going at around 60K and the possibility of fixing it for good with an after market single section flywheel, but just how common is it?
Also, the hdi engine was developed with Ford right? So is it the same engine in diesel Focus and Mondeos?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Surprisingly common to be honest. Dual mass flywheels are fragile at best, and usually a bloody nuisance. The reason they were developed was to dampen out vibrations caused by running an engine on oil that has the viscosity of water, which was used in an attempt to reduce losses within the engine, and hence improve fuel economy.

If you get the chance to, remove the dual mass flywheel and bin it. Fit a sensible solid flywheel, and fill the engine with a sensible viscosity oil. The fractional increase in fuel economy is irrelevant in comparison to the cost of replacing a dual mass flywheel.
This is not a signature.
matt
My Cars:

Re: HDi disintigrating flywheel

Post by matt »

Xac wrote: Also, the hdi engine was developed with Ford right? So is it the same engine in diesel Focus and Mondeos?
As far as ive heard ,yes,but with a few small differences.If you look at the outputs and capacities they are very similar.The 1.4 tdci is also a hdi.

Tranny vans go like stink nowadays so presume they are too!
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: HDi disintigrating flywheel

Post by Kowalski »

Xac wrote:I've heard this mentioned several times on the forum, going at around 60K and the possibility of fixing it for good with an after market single section flywheel, but just how common is it?
Also, the hdi engine was developed with Ford right? So is it the same engine in diesel Focus and Mondeos?
The 1.4. and 1.6 HDIs are shared with Ford, these two were new engines, developed by PSA and built by PSA. Incidentally, the Mini is getting a 1.4 HDI diesel at some point (assuming it doesn't already).

The 2.0 16V HDI is an evolution of the 2.0 8v HDIs (same block) and is used in the newest Focus and newest S40 but NOT the Mondeo, the Mondeo and Jaguar X Type share a 2.0 16V engine that is Ford originated. Apparently PSA did some work on this, converting the old 2.0 TDDI into the 2.0 TDCI but Ford builds these engines.
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

Is that the 1.4TDCI which is in my Fiesta 06' ??
Golf 55' 1.9TD
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

aye....
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

Well I suggest everyone stay away from any cars that share this engine, they are tinny, unrefined and are poo!

The juddering saga continues!
Golf 55' 1.9TD