fuel pressure regulator 1.8 16v

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

weety
My Cars:

fuel pressure regulator 1.8 16v

Post by weety »

hi guys

once again my sunday peace has been shattered summoned to diagnose a fault on a friends car :(

this was easy to find....there is a huge fuel leak coming from the area around the fuel pressure regulator....i checked the pipes and replaced the hose clips but that hasnt cured it.....

before i take my big socket set to it can anybody give me any advice on what it might be, any likely seals etc etc (i have never worked on a xantia petrol before and the last petrol i worked on had carbs anyway :D )

Cheers
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dont get too involved before you are certain on the problem.

A fuel connection will not suddenly spring a leak in the solid bits. Seals are most likely to be copper, fibre or alu.
If you are certain its not the rubber hose, look for a crack on the stud or the trottle housing. If the stud is pressfit check its pressed fully home and not loose.

The rubber hose could very well be beyond the 'quick cut and refit' condition. Check it carefully before suspecting anyhing else.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Say that this is filling in until the experts arrive. :?
Until then, here’s something starting with the 2.0i 8V:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21282

Edit: Oops ! Anders, I sent my story before I saw your post.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

no probs Clogzz -
You are a wizzard to memorise related topics 8)
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

AndersDK wrote:Dont get too involved before you are certain on the problem.

A fuel connection will not suddenly spring a leak in the solid bits. Seals are most likely to be copper, fibre or alu.
If you are certain its not the rubber hose, look for a crack on the stud or the trottle housing. If the stud is pressfit check its pressed fully home and not loose.

The rubber hose could very well be beyond the 'quick cut and refit' condition. Check it carefully before suspecting anyhing else.
fair enough, its a scarily huge leak to have....when he described it i assumed he was describing a drip drip sort of leak (in an over excited way)

i turned the car on strolled round to the front and i dont think i have ever moved so quick to get the ignition turned of....it is literally pouring on to the engine
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Thats in fact pretty scary weety :shock:

Read the post with picture from Simon (link submitted by Clogzz). As Simon got exactly the same problem, it wont be to overexaggerate that this problem in fact COULD be a potiential danger on all multipoint Xantiae :roll:

I hope other Xantia owners reading this will take a look in their Xantia engine bay - and feed back their comments here.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Anders, very well worth a check on a frequent basis, especially as the fuel rail is plastic and liable to crack at any time :twisted: :twisted:

I do know all about this from my 205GTi. I replaced the engine-bay mounted fuel filter and had not nipped up the unions quite tight enough and the ensuing fountain was something to behold. It spurted up, hit the bonnet and rained down on the engine. I NEVER want to do that again :shock:

Scary! A good few have been lost that way.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

AndersDK wrote:Thats in fact pretty scary weety :shock:

Read the post with picture from Simon (link submitted by Clogzz). As Simon got exactly the same problem, it wont be to overexaggerate that this problem in fact COULD be a potiential danger on all multipoint Xantiae :roll:

I hope other Xantia owners reading this will take a look in their Xantia engine bay - and feed back their comments here.
i got the car MOT'd for him three weeks ago and there was definately no leak then so whatever it is has come on quickly....only up side is there is so much fuel you cant help but smell it

with the pressure that a fuel injection system runs i would have thought any leak would get bad pretty quickly.... though you would think the car could 'sense' that it is losing pressure and put a warning light up of some sort.
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

Where exactly is the leak?

On my 1.8 16v there was a small leak where the fuel pipe connects to the fuel line, however this was difficult to spot, but i noticed once when i started the car from cold, which leads me to believe it only leaked when cold. I changed the original clip for a proper screw type (crocodile) clip that has sorted the problem, it still drinks fuel mind.

If i leaks on the fuel regulator pipe, i seem to recall form memory there is no clip on this, the pipes is simply pushed on tight, can you not try a clip on this pipe assuming its not split? ive had no problem with mine.
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

the leak is where the fuel pipe connects to the fuel pressue regulator, or perhaps from the regulator....

unfortunately it was dumping so much fuel over the engine i became scared :shock: and wasnt able to track exactly where the leak was

i did the obvious and changed the hose clips but it still leaks (with the engine running).......... my next step will be to strip it down and see if i can find whats wrong :(
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

Cant say ive had any problem with mine, btw there should be a flat thin metal clip on the fuel regulator which i presume keeps the regulator in place, i would check to see this is still there/has not been removed.
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

clip is still there (like a huge cotter pin).... its probably a pinhole fuel leak from the pipe or a cracked plastic thingy

have to say its one of the worst fuel leaks i have ever seen (and thats after twenty years working on cars)
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

today was working on citroens day......turned out it was just a pinhole leak in the pipe but i have ended up replacing both hoses from the tank to the engine (thinking being that if that bit of hose has started to go the rest could follow)

my local car factors was selling fuel hose at £17 for ten metres (pearl parts) so its not a dear job ........and after seeing the fuel pouring on to the engine like that it might be worth doing on older petrol cars :shock: