Xsara door locking..grrrrr

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

micitroen
My Cars:

Xsara door locking..grrrrr

Post by micitroen »

Can anybody help me please? I have a '98 Xsara 1.9 D LX with a locked rear passsenger door (nearside). The car has central locking and all the doors and the boot are unlocking themselves by the 'plip'. Even the one that won't open is unlocked and will not open even when the handle is used (this applies to both the outside handle and the one inside the car) (just in case the child lock on that door was malfunctioning) I have removed the door card and that has allowed me to see that the motor for unlocking the door is moving the linkage and that the linkage from the inside door handle is working as far as the lock itself. I have removed the outside door handle with a view to gaining some light and also to check the mechanism for that was working correctly. It does appear to be, I have also checked the operation of the childock and this seems to be alright ie. you can detect a smal 'extra' drag in the system when it is set to off (ie when the door is capable of being opened from the inside).
Hopefully someone on here will have some knowledge of this.
At the moment I am contemplating taking the door off from the hinges to see if I can 'lift the door of the lock but its getting to me...any body?
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You wont be able to lift the dor off the lock post :(

You are bound to open the lock some way - or destroy the door :evil:
Have you tried soak the lock mechanism with a well working penetrating rust solutioner ?
Dont use WD-40 as this will be too 'general purpose' for this kind of job. Find a dedicated rust penetrator.
Thats about the best chance you have with acces from inside the door.

Note : once the lock is 'unlocked' - its the linkage from either inner or outer door handle that opens the lock. Not the central locking motor linkage.
Try remove the CL motor and free it from its linkage. Then manually give the linkage a really good workout against its endstops - while soaking the mechanism lot in penetrator.

Then move on to the door opening handle linkage and repeat the procedure.

Hint : often it works like magic if you press in and/or lift up the door while trying to open it. Even if you are able to shake, rattle and roll the whole door.
Dont be too violent though, as then you push yourself into the door replacement job anyway :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

Thanks, Anders.
I did wonder about the door which is why I was asking, so thanks for the info. At the moment I'm thinking of taking the other door apart to find out exactly what makes it tick (so to speak) as the access is very limited with the door shut.
Mike.
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

Sorted, see entry under topic....Lock prob with Xantia.
Mike

simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Sounds like same problem with my car . Was the lock making a noise as if unlocking but not doing anything .

How hard did you have to knock it ?

Did you notice a clonk when it first jammed ?

I must get round to ringing someone on here to sort it out . :oops:

Now time yet
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

these door locks are sealed units,i had a prob on a pisycaso, acording to citroen they sell a lot of these,at only around £34 squide, the one i sorted for one of my customers was a N/S rear and it would not lock at all,and as they dont have a manual lock button or lever they are just operated by central locking servo
regards malcolm
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

Simon, just looked but couldn't see the other thread re the Xantia.... . obviously dropped out the page. Yes the door motor did make a noise and did in fact move the linkage (I could see with the doorcard off) but it obviously wasn't moving it the whole shebang as a light tap with a screwdriver directly onto the motor as I operated the 'plip' and it sprang open (it did actually make a slightly different noise (a little bit more of an elongated sort of brrrr) anyhow I've dosed it (soaked a better word) with a load of WD40 and its still working now 11 days later....although I still don't trust the thing and will probably get it done in due course.
I think it jammed when a rear passenger went to get into the car and lifted the door handle while I was unlocking the car with the remote, this has happened before and all it usually requires is the car to be locked and then opened again but this time it didn't happen...I can't be sure that this was the case but the door was ok last time it was used befrore this numbskull did what he did.
Hope this helps.
Mike

simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

just to let you all now made some enquires for new lock on me car about £32 to buy lock .

Had a big bang from lock whilst opening rest of car , Now lock is working all ok very weird . :?

Slapped some grease into each .

Seems job done .
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

Good to hear Simon, I've gone back to using the remote locking all the time and it seems fine .....obviously just needed a good lubrication :oops: so to be on the safe side I dosed up the other rear door as well.
Mike