gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

metgreentd

gearbox

Post by metgreentd »

my question is...is a 19td gearbox the same across the years.i have a jan 95 1.9td and have the chance of a 96 1.9td gearbox that entails a trip of 50 or so miles to pick up would like to know before i go that far.also is the gearbox as longwinded to change as the haynes manual suggests?any shortcuts?i will be changing the clutch at the same time any problems there?thanks
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yep it should fit,i have just fitted one from an M reg into an R reg,just swap anthing which is diferant you might find whilst you have both boxs on the floor/bench,like speedo drive units whether yours be cable or electricly driven,what is wrong with the one that is in the carat the mo
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It would still be the type BE3 gbox.
I cant see there would be any changes of significance.

What you mean by longwinded ?
Its not just like a brakes service job replacing a gearbox - no matter which handbook you read in.
For obvious reasons the gearbox must be digged out from all sorts of auxillary equipment, hoses, fluids, pipes & wires.
Thats by no means a 10 min job.
If you try any shortcuts - you may end up with a wrecked car.
Especially if you let the box hang by its own weight on the input axle. Thats the biggest risc ruining the job.

Its straightforward though, if you patiently dig your way through it. The Haynes description may certainly not be accurate for your model, but its a very good procedure as a help to remember all things in the correct order.

Replacing the clutch is straightforward once the gearbox is out.
But do a complete clutch kit including the throw-out bearing.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the main trick when removing a XANT gear box,you must remover the fork arm before trying to fight it away from the engine,as they have a back to front clutch and the fork prongs are slotted into the thrust bearing,which in turn is attatched to the presure plate,removing the arm first allows you to rotate the fork as the box is moved away from the engine,the most longwinded bit i find is removing the plastic wireing loom mounting
regards malcolm

ps.
when the gear box is down check the nylon fork bushes for play,if any fit new ones,also do remove both drive shafts,you will bend the inner section of the O/S double shaft if you try to remove the box with it still in place
Last edited by citronut on 16 May 2007, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
metgreentd

gearbox

Post by metgreentd »

the gearbox in the car at the mo whines in 3rd 4th and 5th gear and at lower speeds i think it is the layshaft that rattles.the gearbox has been drained and refilled with the correct oil but no improvement and as the original clutch has done 167,000 miles(i have had the car from 20,000)i am going to tackle both job together.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Yup it will fit, we have a 405 td box in one of ours, some models have a mechanical speedo drive but that just swaps over with the original.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.