italian decoke

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

metgreentd

italian decoke

Post by metgreentd »

excuse my stupidity but what is an italian decoke?i bet im the only one who dont know.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

A good trashing :twisted:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

:lol:

It is a method of clearing a diesel engine of accumulated carbon that can build up if it is used gently over an extended period. This buildup can be significant.

Get the engine warm and then really drive it long and hard in the lower gears at highish revs (between 3500 and 4000rpm) for a good while.

This will get the engine really hot and burn out any accumulated carbon in the combustion chambers and exhaust. If things are really choked up you may be rewarded by a display of sparks from the rear as red-hot carbon ash is ejected!!! It really does work.

One warning: Ensure the engine is mechanically healthy and that the cambelt and tensioners are in tip-top condition. This treatment could just see off an elderly cambelt. Replace if you are not 100% certain.

Also, I recommed an oil change and all three filters (air, oil and fuel) are replaced just before.

Also known as an "Italian Tune Up", this procedure is a useful precursor to an MOT test to help ensure it passes the smoke test.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

:lol: :lol:

As DickieG said, AKA a good thrash!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

citrojim wrote:If things are really choked up you may be rewarded by a display of sparks from the rear as red-hot carbon ash is ejected!!! It really does work.
Which nearly caused me to require new trousers when I was following Jim who was in Cassy once we'd got her sort of running, after fixing her cam belt tensioners and having way too much veg oil in her fuel tank :oops:
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Mine gets an Italian tune up every day flat out on the governor up the hills on the motorway, but still carbon can build up...I had my back box off to fix a small leak, tapped it on the floor on end out of curiosity, and out fell several sizeable chunks of carbon!!
deian

Post by deian »

aka Coal
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

I have to do this for my BIL as he always thinks its going to kill the car, on the way back from the Indie I drove his Xantia back with my mum behind in the ZX diesel.

Knowing what a gentle driver he is i decided to clear it out and my mum was horrified at how much 'black' was coming out of the car.

I told her you should do the same!!!!

Its mezuk04 by the way, but somehow it wouldnt let me sign in, again! :(
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Its mezuk04 by the way, but somehow it wouldnt let me sign in, again!

Just keeping the riff raff out. :twisted:

Regards
Slim
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

:cry:
Golf 55' 1.9TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good to see you back on here mez, even if you are in disguise!!!
Jim