Bouncy Front, Leaking Pump etc

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nesssalmon

Bouncy Front, Leaking Pump etc

Post by nesssalmon »

Hi

I have a bouncy front on my 1996 1.9td estate (sx) which I presume to be spheres. Before I replace these I also have a small LHM leak from my pump dripping onto my Alternator.
My questions are, could my leak be making my spheres appear flat when they are not :?:

Also this is baffling me; My ride height at the front is a bit high, but when I put her up to the high setting and then to normal she then drops to the perfect drive height? Any ideas on that one :?:

Many Thanks
Robert Hawkins
1998 Grand Espace 2.2 TD 'S' Reg
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Is the leak coming from here?

If so, you can try tightening it (17 or 19mm spanner, I forget which) or replace the o-ring under it.

If the suspension is up and solid at the front, it's time to change those front spheres.
You could also have a slightly sticky front height corrector.
Clean and lube it and see how it goes.

When did you last change the LHM or do a hydroflush? Get a torch and check the colour of your LHM in the resevoir. Should be nice and green.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
nesssalmon

I hope thats it!

Post by nesssalmon »

Hi Xac, Many thanks for that, really helpful.

I’ve had a look and yes it could possibly be that area of my pump. (there is fluid there, so I hope no where else)

I did by a new O ring from Citroen a while ago so I guess its time to fit it!

Do you by any chance know what the procedure is? I guess depressurize, and undo nut and replace seal and tighten?

I will check the front height corrector and replace the front spheres. (They are stamped 2003, not sure the usual lifespan?)

Cheers
Robert
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Best to depressurise, might as well replace the sphere's at the same time. If you haven't got a tool, just say and I'll describe the B&Q DIY tool you can make which costs around a tenner.

Once the pressure is off (set car to low, leave engine running for 5 mins, release blead screw by accumulator etc) I suppose you undo the pipe that goes into the 17/19mm nut so you can turn the nut without damaging the pipe, then undo the nut. Not sure about any springs etc underneath, I'm sure somewhere on here there's a thread with pics on how to disassemble the pump.
I was able to just tighten mine which stopped the leak so I never got round to fitting the o-ring.

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

That's the same place i have my leak from, best thing to do to make sure, is get some toilet tissue, and remove any LHM that is around that nut, then leave it over night, if the leak is coming from that nut, it will be visible on tissue in the morning from where the system has settled.

P.S
LHM appears to have no effect on the use of the alternator
its a 19mm spanner for the big nut.

(Xac is that a picture of my hydraulic pump? :P)
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Nope, tis Cassy's pump :)

DIY sphere tool
nesssalmon

Post by nesssalmon »

Update:

I have fitted the new spheres over the weekend, really easy (fronts). I used a strap wrench and bingo off they popped.

The car now drives beautifully, nor more bouncing down the road :lol:

Also have tightened the pump nut, so I will have to see if that’s worked.

Still have the same problem with the ride height at the front. Will only sit right after coming down from the top position, seems a bit high when going from low to normal.

I have tried to look at the front height corrector, not quite sure where it is, on the anti roll bar I think :?:

I can’t really see why it would settle at these two different heights? (well I suppose if was semi - seized it would do this?)

Anyway enough rambling

Thanks again
Robert
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You've answered your own question on the height. Loads of info on here about the correctors - you may be able to free it with some lubrication or replacement may be necessary.
jeremy