Engine diagnostic computer for petrol Xantia ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Engine diagnostic computer for petrol Xantia ?

Post by Mandrake »

Hi All,

I posed this question at the end of another thread but I'll repeat it here for a bit more exposure - I'm trying to find out if its a realistic proposition to obtain (from ebay etc) a hand held engine dignostic computer that is compatible with the 2.0i 8 valve petrol engine on my Xantia. (We actually have two cars with the same engine so that makes it a bit more worthwhile)

Nobody within 100 miles of me has one compatible with the engine, and for the price they want to charge to get a unit up from the main dealer (100 miles away) for the day just to plug it in for a one off session I reckon you could probably buy one for... :evil:

The engine code is: PSA RFX 10HJP1 and its a 1997 Automatic.

I'm trying to track down a fault / faults affecting idle speed, idling smoothness and also intermitant lack of power...

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Simon,

I'm interested in this too for my Activa. One sure thing is they're not OBDII compliant.

What we're going to need is to know what management your engine is running. I guess its Bosch Motronic 5.1 but some versions of your engine used the Magnetti Marelli 8P management and I suspect the diagnostic equipment needed will be different.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

All you get from the ECU anyway is a fault code - or "no errors stored" code. You wont ever get a message telling you to "check Lambda sensor cable" or such.

In principle its just the old system with blink codes taken further to store codes from a much larger code selection table. They need to be read off by a piece of intelligent electronics - like a smartly programmed PIC16 or 8055 device. Even easier : a few electronic bits for the data signal conversion to a serial port on a desktop or portable PC - and then a very simple program interrogating the ECU to send its codes back. The code translation table you will have to tap in to provide a lookup text selection table for each fault code.

Biggest problem of all : PSA engine fault code (translation) tables are to my knowledge not available public. But hopefully I'm very wrong on this ?

The electronics hobbyist magazine "Elektor Electronics" have already published a DIY description for a versatile OBD to PC serial port converter (connector cable).

The most simple and cheapo readers will just display the error code received like "P1234" after you push the start button. Then you need a look-up table to translate that code into a do-able service job.
There are international fault code tables agreed, but manufacturers tend to re-arrange the meaning of the codes and having a range of special codes - for obvious reasons. And so does PSA.
Software for PC's and cable converters are also widely available. But still tend to be on the expensive side - each claiming to be the deep saucer of the new world.

I'm dead sure that some of our members would be wizzards on this subject.
Its definately a very interesting subject indeed.

- then we still have another very interesting discussion : how to download, alter and upload firmware for the ECU in later mux'ed cars. Stop that C5 Estate rear window going down & up at its own mind - as a DIY project !
But please let that issue have its own thread guys 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I have the Sykes Pickavant ACR4 which works well on my Activa, V6, TD and previous 2.0 16v models, it also covers your car Simon.

Whilst yes it does say either "faults/no fault found", if a fault is found, it also gives information at what speed/temperature/revs etc the fault occurred.

Further to what Anders describes it also offers "datastream", the ability to read information flowing between the ECU and sensors, spark plug voltages, the duration + timing of fuel injection/ignition etc etc.

In addition to the engine ECU it can also read ABS and Airbag information. With ABS for instance you can read the speed being registered from all four wheel sensors simultaneously.

I've spent quite a lot of time researching fault codes readers and for diy use I believe that this equipment offers the best value for money before getting into spending a fortune. Buying from ebay you should be able to get set up for around £200.

No matter what model code reader you buy, a fault will only show up if a sensor is working outside of the parameters set by the vehicle manufacturer.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

DickieG, Does your Sykes Pickavant work on your 02 Picasso HDI ?

If it does then it might work on my 02 C5 Hdi.

cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
deian

Post by deian »

DickieG wrote:I have the Sykes Pickavant ACR4 which works well on my Activa, V6, TD and previous 2.0 16v models, it also covers your car Simon.

Whilst yes it does say either "faults/no fault found", if a fault is found, it also gives information at what speed/temperature/revs etc the fault occurred.

Further to what Anders describes it also offers "datastream", the ability to read information flowing between the ECU and sensors, spark plug voltages, the duration + timing of fuel injection/ignition etc etc.

In addition to the engine ECU it can also read ABS and Airbag information. With ABS for instance you can read the speed being registered from all four wheel sensors simultaneously.

I've spent quite a lot of time researching fault codes readers and for diy use I believe that this equipment offers the best value for money before getting into spending a fortune. Buying from ebay you should be able to get set up for around £200.

No matter what model code reader you buy, a fault will only show up if a sensor is working outside of the parameters set by the vehicle manufacturer.
Whoa, geek info overload, must get this one!! Imagine the money you could save not going to the cowboys to spend 3 hours diagnosing a faulty temp sensor?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

KevMayer wrote:DickieG, Does your Sykes Pickavant work on your 02 Picasso HDI ?

If it does then it might work on my 02 C5 Hdi.

cheers, Kev
Yes it does and your C5 is on the list as being covered, both the Bosch and Seimens systems of that year.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH