106 1.4 D Head Gasket

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SimonT
My Cars:

106 1.4 D Head Gasket

Post by SimonT »

After all the help and advice given previously, it looks like the head is still pressurising the cooling system even though I replaced the gasket.
Someone told me that one cause is that the head could've been warped and this would expalin why it's still not sealing properly I guess.
So my question this time dear friends is.........

Can I tighten down the head bolts a little extra now knowing it is a bit warped to try and take out this slight imbalance so that it then seals down squarely onto the engine?
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 106 1.4 D Head Gasket

Post by CitroJim »

SimonT wrote: Can I tighten down the head bolts a little extra now knowing it is a bit warped to try and take out this slight imbalance so that it then seals down squarely onto the engine?
Hi Simon,

No, unfortunately that will not work :( No amount of torquing down will correct a warp, all you'll end up doing is causing more damage.

Many years ago I bought a brand new MG Metro during a tour of duty in Cyprus. It developed a head weep and the Cypriot mechanic just pulled the head down tighter, much to my horror. predictably it did not work. Having no confidence in the ability of the garage to do the job, I replaced the head gasket myself, despite the car still being under warranty. That fixed it.

Have the head off, have it skimmed and pressure tested.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...