xantia suspension replacement, done but have a question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

a4gom
My Cars:

xantia suspension replacement, done but have a question

Post by a4gom »

After a bit of thought, searching and reading we attacked my dads 1.9td xantia estate yesterday and replaced the 4 corner spheres. I thought we had followed all the instructions about depresurising the system so was quite surprised just how much fluid we lost when removing the old spheres, all the searches and reading seemed to imply a little loss but we are talking litres not a dribble. :shock:

Is this right? did we do something wrong? :?:

Its done now so this is for future ref / others info.

P.s. after 1/2 hour messing with a strap wrench and tapometer to remove the rears I made a removal tool from an old 1"square desk leg and a bit of 8mm threaded bar and couldn't believe how easy the came off. :idea:
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

If the spheres are totally shot and the diaphragms punctured then a lot of LHM can come squirting out, was the car sitting on its bump stops? or was there some height (hence LHM)
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

If a spheres membrane has ruptured then they'll be a fair degree of spillage as a result of LHM fluid now being held within the sphere which is retained under pressure for some time due to the time it takes for the fluid to exit the sphere via the small damper hole.

However when this happens you usually get advance warning of it as you unscrew the sphere by way of the sphere still feeling tight after the seal has been broken. Normally once you break the seal they unscrew easily.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Did you have the suspension on its lowest setting? Usually this will depressurise the system by itself.
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

Thanks for the replies, I'm pretty sure it was sat at its lowest point, it was left running for 5 mins before hand to make sure.
I guess the spheres were gone then and the fluid was coming from them.

Made a nice mess of my tarmac drive :evil:

Thanks again
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

You don't just set it to low to depresurise, you have to undo the pressure release bolt by the accumulator a little bit until it stops whistling/farting.

Citrojim, TehAgent and I found some newish looking spheres on a xantia at the scrappy yesterday, unfortunately the system was still under pressure so we had to leave them be, and not enough engine left to run the hp to depressurise the system :(
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I always put a empty cat litter tray below when changing spheres, as you've found a punctured membrane leads to nearly half a litre of LHM lost.

Steve.
not applicable
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you set the height corrector to low you depressurise the suspension and return the LHM to the reservoir. Undoing the pressure relief screw on the regulator will depressurise the accumulator which is a handy safety precaution.

Of course anti-sink will cause further complications.
Last edited by jeremy on 08 May 2007, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
jeremy
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

You don't just set it to low to depresurise, you have to undo the pressure release bolt by the accumulator a little bit until it stops whistling/farting.
yep did that, thw whistling noise didn't last long though.

mmmm, cat litter if only I had known I would have mave some provision.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

From what I've read, with the engine running the anti-sink valves stay open and so allow the lhm to return to the resevoir.
On both of mine, if you switch the car off and set the height to low, it won't drop unless the pump is running.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes - was forgetting about anti-sink.

Have edited previous post.
jeremy