oh oh, auto box fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

oh oh, auto box fault

Post by deian »

Hi,

As you all know well by now, i got a Xantia V6 with the ZF HP20 box, the mileage is 111k.

Today a fault came up after drive into a junction, and then again going into reverse, it happened twice in reverse, switching the engine off it didn't come up again. And since it's been ok, I reckon it's the oil that needs changing/topping up. It's intermittent of course, so it's not a complete failure, yet!

Have any of you got ideas or opinions to comfort me?

Deian
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

I'm not really too sure on a auto gear box, but you failed to mention what fault?

do any of the lights on the dash board come on?
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

What sort of indications did you get ?
It would simply not engage or - ?

The autobox gots its own ECU - and fuse. Remove fuse for ½ an hour in case the ECU has stored any trash in its memory, playing up with your driving decisions.
Its good to remember this fuse is there - in case the car starts entering the "limp" mode. As then you can - by removing this fuse - instantly see if its the engine or gbox ECU that are playing up with you.
I seem to remember that the autobox will work normal - with manual selection only - when fuse is removed. But please V6auto owners correct me here.

With all the discussions we have had on autos, I tend to agree that most minor problems or glitches will disappear whenever you have replaced the box oil - and checked its the correct level.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

Well it happened as quite a healthy clunk down changing, i think from 3 to 2 or even 2 to 1, as soon as the clunk happened the two mode light started flashing together... the sports and snow lights (which indicates a fault). It also clunked from N to R, and again the lights flashed, other than that it's been ok.

The last few days it's been holding it in the lower gears for longer with the gbox cold, were talking 3000rpm +, it's ok when it's warmed up.
Which is why I think this is all related to the fluid being either dirt or lacking. I just wanted other peoples opinions before I started crying into my wallet.

Engine management light didn't come on.

Thanks for the fuse tip.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Deian mine holds 3K when cold?

and it clunks (sometimes) no lights flashing tho..
deian

Post by deian »

Ohhh, well john, it's nice to know we have the exact same problems... cambelt, autobox, v6, etc... maybe we should swap our auto box fluids too.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

ok ;)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The gearbox is designed to hold onto 1st gear when the box is cold in order for it to warn up quickly.

Minor faults will be cleared from the ECU the next time the engine is started whereas more major ones remain. Not all recorded faults cause both the sport and snow lights to illuminate together.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

deian wrote:Ohhh, well john, it's nice to know we have the exact same problems... cambelt, autobox, v6, etc... maybe we should swap our auto box fluids too.
Enough already... two grown men swapping fluids is innapropriate for this forum [-X
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

f00lzz wrote:
deian wrote:Ohhh, well john, it's nice to know we have the exact same problems... cambelt, autobox, v6, etc... maybe we should swap our auto box fluids too.
Enough already... two grown men swapping fluids is innapropriate for this forum [-X
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

What was the mileage on the box again!? :(

Time to know your Dextrons from one another
though the horse may have already bolted... :cry:

Fingers crossed for you (both!?). Been there with the
(censored) things before

Andrew