C5 Steering rattle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ncoll
My Cars:

C5 Steering rattle

Post by ncoll »

My 2.2 C5 51 vintage, has developed a "rattle" in the steering column. Anybody got any ideas of a fix? It's noticeable over speed bumps and pot holes.
Current XM 2ltr Auto
Now gone C5 2.2 auto estate
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I have no direct experience of C5's but based on general experience I'd start looking at the coupling between the column and the rack (tightness and soundness especially if its a flat rubber/fabric disc), universal joints and the column bearings. Worth giving anything visible a good shake to see if there is any movement - and possibly lubricate things like universal joints.

Its also worth shaking the wheel to see if it feels tight on its shaft.
jeremy
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

I had exactly the same problem develop in my 51 reg. C5. Unfortunately it's a known, but not common, problem, and requires the whole steering column to be replaced at a cost of some £300 :cry:

I did try to ignore the problem, but it gradually got worse to the point where the free play at the steering wheeel would have been enough to fail the MOT.
JT
My Cars:

Post by JT »

Is it the steering column or the steering wheel?
I had a similar problem on my C5 but it turned out that the nut securing the wheel had become loose.
If it is the wheel, just pop out the airbag and give the centre nut a turn.
I think it is a number 50 TX fitting.
If it is the column then it may be a lot more work!!!
JT
ncoll
My Cars:

C5 steering rattle

Post by ncoll »

Hi folks,
Thanks for your answers, the rattle is only when steering is straight ahead, the steering wheel is not loose neither is the nut. There is no noticble play when the steering wheel is rocked left and right. Is the shaft splined to allow for adjustment? I thought if it is splined would a bit of grease on the splines cure it!
Current XM 2ltr Auto
C5IAM
My Cars:

Post by C5IAM »

Had the same rattle on my 2.2 HDI. Very close examination revealed very minute play on the two universal joints. Giving less than an inch movement on the steering wheel - some of that could possibly be other slightly worn components, i.e. track rod ends. However, the rattle was actually pinnpointed to the spline which allows the steering wheel to be brought forward or back. Having given this a load of thought, i considered that if the steering wheel was pushed toward the dash as far as possible then this would be an unworn area of the spline. Tried this and the play seemed to be the same. brought it back to it's original position and the rattle has disappeared. Incidentally, whilst investigating this I got a price of £141 from Citroen for the section of the steering coumn from the spline containing both UV joints which I didn't feel was to bad. Done about 6k miles since and it is generally quiet now whereas before it was very bad. But I have not done anything!!
C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
C6 2.7 Twin turbo HDI Lignage
ncoll
My Cars:

C5 Steering rattle

Post by ncoll »

Tried adjustment up and down as you described and it worked, cheers.
Current XM 2ltr Auto
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

Its a comforting feeling when a quick simple suggestion solves the fault at no cost whatsoever... Dont you just love a Citroen.

Still waiting to become rich to buy a C6!
Golf 55' 1.9TD