Xantia Suspension HDI 2001

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Garysz

Xantia Suspension HDI 2001

Post by Garysz »

Changed front three and rear two spheres last Autumn. Now as soon as car comes to a halt the rear sinks and then rises again when I pull away.

What is wrong? The middle rear unchanged sphere or the ride height device?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

It may be a sign that its working properly. The rear suspension has trailing arms and the effect of the brakes on the wheel is to produce a torque which rotates the arms rearwards and upwards. This can be demonstrated by lowering the car and raising it with the brakes applied. If the brakes are then released the car will leap upwards.

Having at last got the back brakes on our ZX working properly I can now get the effect on it - especially if I pull up quite quickly and then hold it on the brakes - there is a noticeable jump from the back when the brakes are released.

If it does strange things on startup only it may be a sign that the anti-sink sphere is flat. However this shouldn't affect it when its been running for a while.

Its also possible that gas is in the system. Citroebics (raising and lowering the car a number of times) should dispel it as it causes the LHM to circulate which doesn't really happen on cars with anti-sink.
jeremy
Garysz

Post by Garysz »

Thanks

One further fault I forgot to mention. When I put the height lever to the max to check the brakes/go through floods and then return it to the middle it does not sink. I then have to put it to the lowest let it sink and then return to normal.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like the height correctors are in need of lubrication or replacement. There are loads of psotings on this subject.
jeremy
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Agree with Jermey - but the same thing can also happen if the manual override linkage is out of adjustment.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive