BX14 engine picture needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

504GLD

BX14 engine picture needed

Post by 504GLD »

Hi

Can anybody post a picture of the early BX14 engine bay, as I need to identify what air intake was applied to this combination (pre TU). I think it will allow me to connect my Pug205 carb fitted to the Samba to the 104 style airfilter assembly the Samba uses.

Thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

There is a drawing of the type 150 engine BX14 engine bay in all versions of the haynes BX.
Its got the oval filter just behind LHS headlamp.
Lower duct connects to a flap housing for manual selection of intake air temp - 3 positions between hot air and cold air intake can be selected with a lever. This flap housing is located low down on the inner wing.
Upper air duct takes a rather long route over the engine to the top of the carb.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

thanks Anders, it seems the same from memory, but a visual confirmation would be ideal. It is quite rare to find a early BX in the scrap yard, but using a online breakers search should turn up the part stored off the car. I just need to be 100% sure it will match up before placing an order.

I changed the Samba carb as it was worn out with a Peugeot 205 one, however they are slightly different. The Samba air ducting has a mirror image of the bolt holes. I've been able to adapt the cable connections and advance the timing (Samba points, 205 electronic), to give satisfactory idle speed

Recalling from the air filter part number the BX14 used the same filter and housing, what I need to confirm is that the carb to filter hose will have the same bolt pattern as the 205 carb (1986).
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

My family owned an 83 Samba and an 84 BX 14 in the early '90s.

From memory the air cleaner and intake selector were identifical, the difference was the large diameter rubber hose that ran over the top of the engine to the carb. The BX's was longer, and was a push fit onto the carb then held in place with a large jubilee clip which had to be very tight or the hose would pop off when it felt like it. It can't recall whether the Samba had a different arrangement holding this hose in place, but it never seemed so prone to falling off!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

nick wrote: The BX's (hose) was longer, and was a push fit onto the carb then held in place with a large jubilee clip which had to be very tight or the hose would pop off when it felt like it.
Now I remember - tx nick :D
Our first BX (purchased in '90) was an '87 model (non badged) 14 basis. The carb was oval on the hose fit. The hose was prone to pop off - because it was in fact slightly tapered :lol:
Therefore the hose should easily adapt to almost any carb
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Strange how these "design features" stick in your mind. :)
The BX was originally bought new by my grandad, and it was often my job as a kid to change the intake lever from "ETE", "MIXTE" or "HIVER" depending on the season, though I remember the "ETE" setting always caused the carb to ice up terribly if you used it in anything other than red hot weather!
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

thanks for the responces chaps, it sounds like the BX14 may not be my solution. I will possibly have to go back to the 205 route and replace the samba air cleaner too. I wonder what K&N there is!
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

Well a tempory fix I found is to move the HT lead bracket from the right hand side to the centre, and use a cable tie to keep the "mushroom" air can held down. The spare wheel sits on the top, so all together it works ok. I've another problem if anybody can help, but posted in Peugeot.