406 est rear tyre wear

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GSB

406 est rear tyre wear

Post by GSB »

The rear tyres on my 98 est are showing signs of increased wear on the outside edges. I have replaced the antiroll bar drop links. Which of the other bushes etc, might cause this?

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Can you see any appeciable negative camber (/--\) on the rear wheels?

Tyre wear like this is usually caused by failure of the trailing arm bearings in the rear beam, a very common problem now on all Pugs using rear torsion bar suspension.

The beam can be rebuilt but often it is found, especially if negative camber is present, that the trailing arm shafts are beyond salvage and the beam tube has ovalised bearing housings. Best to have a pro rebuild at around £250 or scour a breaker for a good 'un.

Once again, a built-in fault caused by water ingress into the needle rollers and a lack of a grease nipple :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

406 has multi-link rear suspention. Doesn't use the 405/306/309/205/106 style trailing arms/torsion bars.

If it's wear on the outside edge of the tyres, I would expect it to be one of the links that controls the rear toe.
This is not a signature.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

fastandfurryous wrote:406 has multi-link rear suspention. Doesn't use the 405/306/309/205/106 style trailing arms/torsion bars.
:oops: :oops: I read the 6 as a 5 :oops: :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...