Xantia V6

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Xantia V6

Post by deian »

After selling my beloved and hardy 2.1td (which i still miss)... I found her replacement, her name is Anoushka and she has got big... erm... engine!

It's quite a kick-ass car isn't it, more than enough power unless you want to lose your licence or go sliding into a wall somehow.

It's got pretty much full service history... up to 95k, it's on 110k now, and the cambelt is due, i will have to work on that one to get it done since it's such a joy to drive.... sports mode is berserk!! Has anyone here attempted this job themselves?

There's receiptd and service history print outs... it's had all sorts of new parts all the time, there are bills amounting to hundreds on it, one is over £1000!!

Nothing much wrong with it except faded laquer on the wing and a dull patch on the tail gate, otherwise it's spotless. Oh and drop links. I better change the auto box oil as a precaution too.

I spent £40 going from Glasgow to North Anglesey, averaging 75mph, i reckon thats pretty goood going, not as shocking as i expected.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Grats with your new motor 8)

We've got quite a few V6 members now. Hope you all get together with special V6 issues :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Good to hear a happy camper with their new purchase!!

You'd better be mentally (and finacially!!) prepared for the belt price
(yes, JUST the belt!!); Citroen itself wants a totally obscene amount for
it and the labour time sounded massive...

put a pal of mine off taking a plunge with a S2 24V V6 Xant!

Is Anglesey BIG enough for such a rapid car!?
Wont it fall off the edge after simply accelerating hard once!! :wink:

I feel you'll find it very hard to look after your licence;
yep, been there, done that... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Enjoy it before owning a car with an engine bigger than 1400cc is
made illegal!

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 27 Apr 2007, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
deian

Post by deian »

Well... no you won't fall off the edge... apparently a guy called john prescott invented these things called roundabouts in 1932... the idea is when you put them in a road that goes towards a cliff edge you can actually avoid driving into the sea because people tend to go round the roundabout and back up the same way they came... thats why someone invented the handbrake

oh hold on.... there is a flaw in that idea with the xantia, and all self levelling rear suspensioned cars!!

I am mentally prepared for the belt, i need to find some cash from somewhere though, i'll take it easy on the kickdown until i get it done, it'll also train the ecu to use less fuel hopefully.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Wow! Roundabouts huh!? :wink:

That Prescott fella meddles with everything.

I think there are a couple on the Gower penninsula here (almost a mirror
to you but a 1/3rd the area on the south coast here) though I can't recall
where exactly - mostly T junctions everywhere - fortunately no damned
Gatso's out in the sticks, YET!! Trust me to go and visit 'civilisation' to get
done for speeding...

Wait till we get Brunstrum's cats eye cameras; Can't wait.
Think I can hear the marching jackboots now...

Andrew
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Good luck with the V6, they certainly go well and sound rather nice :D .

The timing belt itself is about £50 but in connection with that, when it was changed on mine a number of tensioners/pulleys were also changed in addition to the water pump.

If the belt breaks it will trash the engine :cry: .
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I think Eurocarparts do the belt and maybe some other bits which may be cheaper than Cit. Good luck if you are going to do it yourself, best sign up to the new PR-net and print off the service manual section, it'll have the cam timing instructions. I'm sure I saw on ebay once a kit of locking pins for the V6, might be worth a scan.

You may need an A frame or hoist also as the engine mountings have to be remove to gain access and the engine lifted slightly, although I believe it is possible to do this with a jack under the engine.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'll get the belt instructions off Autodata later. I looked the other day - OMG!! Having said that, the book time is only 4.5 hours - just slightly longer than a 1.9TD with A/C.
Edit: OK, done it. Go along to http://www.geocities.com/citpics/v6cambelt/

And you will see a series of screen shots from AD - should be self explanatory. Rather you than me!
Richard W
deian

Post by deian »

Thats really helpful Richard, thank you so much.

Is that all it says?

I reckon peugeot might have a cheaper cambelt, my cousin goes there often for parts and get big discounts.

I've seen a technical document with some data for the belt, it's a Dayco belt, thats all i can recall. It's on Anders' site.

It will be a good weekend job for the summer, i will get the parts one by one too.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Glad your pleased with the car :)

Good trip back from Glasgow with it?

Regards

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
deian

Post by deian »

Yea, the trip was nice, it's a less tiring car than the 2.1TD eventhough that was brilliant on the motorways too. At one point i got annoyed... you set the cruise control at say 75mph, and the guy in front of you has it set at 73mph, it gets really tedious overtaking then and people behind you in their bmw 5 series want to pass. I then said sod this and overtook a few slow cars in front of me to get to a clear space in the slow lane, i ended up doing silly speeds without noticing!! Really mad stuff, it even changed down to 2nd at one point!

It's a nice car, it's been looked after well of course, but still needs a few essential new part and jobs done, i'm not worse off than when i had my 2.1td though as that needed a few new parts too, including cambelt sooner or later.

The idle is a bit lumpy sometimes, and slow to react to the demands of pumps and things. I will have a look sometime, unless someone has some pointers?

Oh and the indicator relay was buzzing randomly on the way back yesterday, weird really, it hasn't done it since. Again, thats minor. Do you miss it now?
howiedean
My Cars:

Re: Xantia V6

Post by howiedean »

deian wrote:After selling my beloved and hardy 2.1td (which i still miss)... I found her replacement, her name is Anoushka and she has got big... erm... engine!

It's quite a kick-ass car isn't it, more than enough power unless you want to lose your licence or go sliding into a wall somehow.

It's got pretty much full service history... up to 95k, it's on 110k now, and the cambelt is due, i will have to work on that one to get it done since it's such a joy to drive.... sports mode is berserk!! Has anyone here attempted this job themselves?

There's receiptd and service history print outs... it's had all sorts of new parts all the time, there are bills amounting to hundreds on it, one is over £1000!!

Nothing much wrong with it except faded laquer on the wing and a dull patch on the tail gate, otherwise it's spotless. Oh and drop links. I better change the auto box oil as a precaution too.

I spent £40 going from Glasgow to North Anglesey, averaging 75mph, i reckon thats pretty goood going, not as shocking as i expected.
Lets see a piccy of your new motor :wink: I was really temped by one of these last year, wish I'd bought it now. :?
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Hi all I have just purchased a 1998 BMW 523i SE .... not a patch on the Xantia V6 performance... I hasten to add that I havent got rid of the Xant V6, this is to replace the 1.9 td that is in need of a good overhaul.

The cambelt change on the Xantia V6 cost me £300+ including cambelt/aux belt .... if I had the time I would certainly have a go myself.. perhaps next time!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
deian

Post by deian »

£300 doesn't sound too bad at all, including aux belt, my aix belt is dead shiny, so it definately needs replacing...

The engine bay gets really hot compared to the diesel, i don't think it's running hot though, the fans come on before the needle hits 90oC.

Just hoovered it now, it's really clean, there are no bad stains, ony a few scratches here and there.

I will sort out pics tomorrow. I will get some detailed ones like i did with the 2.1 for all to study.

They sound brilliant, there is that deep burble from the exhasut at idle while the engine just ticks away, and taking off in sports mode, the engine just happily screams away like it has a mind of it's own. It's a TOTALLY different car to the td, it's nice to be able to just turn the key, with the 2.1td you had to wait for the glow plugs to warm up. I could just go on and on and on about it at the risk of being a big head, but for those of you haven't been in one or experienced one it's a must.

My bro had a 523 estate a couple of years ago, and it was ok, i expecting better from a 523, it has a 2.5 6pot engine in it right? which has about 190bhp? is yours an auto? why don't u race them side by side, on private land of course.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

when i saw you going down the ramp from Central station yesterday i did feel a bit sad seeing her go!! :(

But i know its off to a loving home where it'll be looked after!!

Glad your happy with it!!

I never noticed the noise from the indicator relay you mentioned, but if its the same as my old Xantia, a new indicator stalk solved that problem!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel