is there a front strut lubrication procedure for gsa?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

is there a front strut lubrication procedure for gsa?

Post by wonderd »

like on the BX, is there such a procedure of lubing the front end?

Thank you.
Xantia 2.0L 16V manual trans. 96
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Simple answer - no, as the GSA doesn't have front struts - it has normal suspension cylinders (which are fully self lubricating) and double wishbone arms.

What can go wrong though is the bearings in the top arm can wear out and fail much the same way as rear suspension arm bearings in later models, and the bushes in the bottom arm can do the same. (They do last a very long time though)

Why, whats the problem you're trying to cure ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

A friend just bought GSA and during his repairs, he was told that there is some kind of procedure of lubricating/greesing the front "balls", and i thought it might be strut related like in the bx.
do you know what they are talking about?
Xantia 2.0L 16V manual trans. 96
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the only ball i can think of could be the end of the suspension unit push rod were it is attatched the the top arm,other than that the GS/As suspension is very straight forward compaired with most of the later citroens
regards macolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

From memory with my CX ownership, you must check regularly that the lower attachment balllink of the front suspension cylinder is wetted with LHM.
This is inside the rubber bellow - at the bellow small end where it is a pressfit between the cylinder rod balllink and the upper suspension arm.

How you actually check it I dont know.
But logic says you simply pour in some 10mL (1 large spoon) of LHM by the vent hose, when the car is low. Too much LHM will simply not go in, i.e. it will flow over if you try :wink:

If you remove the rubber bellow, then remember there is that little amount of lube there, which can be quite messy down over the brake discs :?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

AndersDK wrote:From memory with my CX ownership, you must check regularly that the lower attachment balllink of the front suspension cylinder is wetted with LHM.
This is inside the rubber bellow - at the bellow small end where it is a pressfit between the cylinder rod balllink and the upper suspension arm.

How you actually check it I dont know.
But logic says you simply pour in some 10mL (1 large spoon) of LHM by the vent hose, when the car is low. Too much LHM will simply not go in, i.e. it will flow over if you try :wink:

If you remove the rubber bellow, then remember there is that little amount of lube there, which can be quite messy down over the brake discs :?
on a GS/A you wont get fluid over the brake discs,as the brakes are inboard
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ohh yes :roll: -
Thansk reminding me Malcolm :wink:

- the D's, 2CV & derivatives setup.
Only ever tried it on a (beautiful deep red) AMI8break. That was back in '72 :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

If they made a GSA now to modern standards of corrosion protection I'd be first in the queue - provided they fitted stainless front exhaust pipes so you don't have to lift the engine to change them.