106 Head Gasket? HELP

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SimonT
My Cars:

106 Head Gasket? HELP

Post by SimonT »

Hi all. I've just bought a 1.4 diesel 106 for my daughter and after doing the usual serving etc, have found that the cooling system gets so pressurised it scares the life out of me and I have to switch the engine off.
I've changed the thermostat as that was faulty and put a new fan switch on as this wasn't working either.
Been told this is probably a head gasket blown so feel like a right lemon for buying it now but determined not to give in.
There is no oil/water mix anywhere though although alot of oil down the front of the engine.
Anyone got any advice/information to do with replacing the head gasket on this as I'm going to tackle the job myself. I'm a fairly competant DIY mechanic but not a genius and any help would be so appreciated.
I've had so much good help in the past with my Citroen Xantia on here and am sure there's some good people out there ready to help.
:D
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Forget about the old saying of oil/water mixing up on shot H/G's.
Wont happen any more on recent engine types - or at least very rarely.

The sure diagnose is bubbles from overpressure in the coolant filler neck - when engine is started from cold (important !) with filler cap removed.

Dont get fooled by excess coolant expelled when the engine heats up first time after topping up the coolat - which would be a common service item to do ! Commonly there should be volume left for another ½-1 liter of coolant when the coolant level has settled correctly.

Oil down the front of engine would most likely be the valve rocker cover gasket (NOT the H/G !) that needs replacing. A very common service item on any engine.

That said - you MAY still have a shot H/G.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

The problem with the 1.4D is that it has liners, and these can become displaced when you pull the head off. If they do then you would have a problem in reseating them without a major engine rebuild. Just take care.
Brian.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Not sure if it was a rather "violent" way of preventing liners becoming detached, but on old Renaults (the early liner engines) i'd heard of people leaving one head stud in, just nipped up, and twisting the head (with a soft faced mallet) to break the gasket seal. I've never needed to do a wet liner engine, personally, so can't comment...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The normal method with the all alloy linered XU engine is to "rock" the head front to back to break the seal. Peugeot even show special tools to do this. basically they're "L" shaped levers that fit down two of the head stud holes.

As the 106 TUD3 is very similar in concept to the XU5/9 engine, I reckon this would work.

Once the head is off, prevent the liners from moving by clamping them down with two large washers (to clamp two liners at a time) down two head stud holes.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...

Post by 504 »

I would suggest jet washing the engine off, don't worry you can get these majorly wet without bother in the 106. You'll be able to see where the oil is coming from then.

I found with the one I had it would suddenly loose coolant, and the only thing i could put this too was the 4 year green coolant had expired. A drain and refill and it never did it again. The refilling process is typically french, needing a high level header tank - get it wrong and problems start.

Check if you have BLUE standard coolant, then this may of been mixed from tap water and hence scale may have started to clog up the radiator etc restricting flow. Drain it all out, replace the rad if necessary and only use ready mixed.