Project Xantia *Update* 2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sturdybloke

Project Xantia *Update* 2

Post by Sturdybloke »

Here are some shots of my Xantia

First is when it was stuck at the bottom of my parents garden for 8 months (with my ma losing her patience :evil: :? :lol: ) -

Then the clutch went on my dads Scorpio, so it was shoved in with the Xantia (during last winter) -

So after the Scorpio was sorted (i.e shoved in the other corner) I could start on the Xant, like getting the loom sorted!!! -

And to bring things up to date some shots taken today just after its been cleaned from top to bottom -

And

Notice how the car is a 1993 L reg (chevrons on the bonnet) and it has a airbag fitted????? Never seen that before :P 8)
Last edited by Sturdybloke on 28 Sep 2007, 00:57, edited 2 times in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

:D :D Good to see another MK1 in caring hands.

Yours is an absolute dead-ringer for mine. Same colour, interior and everything. All except the airbag, that is!

I like the Mk1 with bonnet chevrons a lot. Best looking I think.

All the best with the MOT!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Is the airbag actually wired in or has the wheel been changed at some point? It looks like a leather one which wouldn't have been standard on an SX.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

That's a good point! I've got a 16v 2.0 on an M plate that had an airbag
but I "borrowed" it's whole steering column for another daily use car that
I lost the key for. As a make-do it had a subsequent non airbag column
fitted off a scrapped car so it's all messed up to what is conventionally
expected. It's a damn-sight easier to change the whole column that try
and get the ignition lock without a key out of the column.

As an aside, I changed every lock in an Xm with a new set in under an
hour today and for once it was easier than a Xantia!!

Craig - I like the blue - one of my favorite Xantia colours. Difficult to find
replacements in the right colour though if you're looking for a new driver's
door - if you need one I'll keep an eye out! I had a 2.0i auto a few months
back in this colour that I had to get rid of so I gave it to a mate as a
return for help he'd given me!!

Andrew
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

Thanks for the comments. Mind you its taken 2 years to get the car to this point, but thats the problem when you have a number of cars. I must also point out that had I not been able to consult with people on the forum I would have given up (and probably have scrapped the car) a long time ago...... It really is a godsend, keep up the good work all and every one.

Yes the airbag works - the little light on the wheel illuminates for 3-4 seconds and goes out as it should, and when I had the dash apart over Autum and last Winter the connections look a very good job with heat shrink tubing and solder connections. The only thing I did not like the car had no airbag warning sticker on the dash as you open the door - one trip to dealer and problem solved. It is a leather rimmed wheel - I believe that these are only on the VSX and Exclusive.

Astral blue - its not a popular colour in the scrappies as I have been looking for a OSF door and a NSF wing as it has a nasty crease on it right on the flair of the arch. Still I like it and out of the pick of colours its what I would have choosen when the car was new (Im biased, I know) :lol:

When I bought the car 2 years ago all I was handed was the owners handbooks in the wallet and 6 old MOT certificates. This has built to quite a substantial lot of reciepts and the car has quite a service history record under my ownership with a rather big pile of reciepts from Bassetts Citroen, GSF and a local Motor factors all kept in a small folder.

So I am more than halfway to finnishing the car just a few more niggles and glitches to sort out and then just enjoy it - Craig.
Sturdybloke

*UPDATE*

Post by Sturdybloke »

Bit of a update for you on Project Xantia.......

Some of my recent posts have included the fitting/repairing of the much dreaded clutch clip and the fitting of a immobiliser - both jobs that have been completed (thankfully)

Next big job on the list was to do the front suspension struts & shot mounts.......Bought a decent pair of struts & mounts from a breakers (they remove them from car, not us) and told him that they were for a 93 1.9 Td Sx (told him twice, to make sure it was correct part :evil: :cry: :roll: ). Paid £70.50 (including VAT) for them. Got them home and cleaned the spilt LHM and light surface rust off them. 2 coats of black enamel paint on them and 24 hours to dry and we were ready to fit them. Bloody things were the wrong ones......Intlet pipe on the ST was bigger than mine. (not in the best of moods) Next day, back to the scrappies to find out what the deal was. Turns out that they took the struts off a bare Xantia subframe, so had no idea about what trim/engine was in it. So off he goes to look for a Xantia with the correct ones (removed one of mind for him to see exact part). Only one Xantia with the correct and useable pair on but it was "in limbo" on if it was a breaker or if it was salvage.

Bit of luck that it was declared a breaker and the struts were duly removed for me. I won't go back to that breaker again (I wont mention the name of them, to save the forum from grief) but ive cut the story short as when I went to pick up the first pair they faild to inform me that they close for lunch for 90 mins (so I had to go back) and the 2nd time I returned (to take the first pair of struts back) I had to go back (yet again) in 2 hours while they decided if they were going to break or salvage the other Xantia, and give them time to remove the part. My regular scrappies is always fresh out of decent struts so I had no choice to go to this one.

Drivers side strut from my Xantia. Pretty well shot I would say -

The replacement struts cleaned and painted -

Nice and clean arch all waxoiled up -

The project rolls on 8) - Craig.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Sounds like you had VSX/Hydractive strut tops first off...hens teeth!!!!
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Good to see the project continuing forwards Craig!

Did you actually buy the whole ram with the strut top still attached
undone from the lower hub crimp bolt?

Coincidentally, looks like I'm after a big bore strut top for one of my VSX's...
:roll:

Andrew
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

andmcit wrote:Did you actually buy the whole ram with the strut top still attached undone from the lower hub crimp bolt?
Thats right. They cut through the strut LHM return line on the first pair though so you would need to remove it from your strut and fit it.
andmcit wrote:Coincidentally, looks like I'm after a big bore strut top for one of my VSX's...
:roll:
Andrew I have dropped you a line about this. Get in touch with them if you need them £35.25 (inc VAT) each.

All the best - Craig.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

This is not chat.
This is a highly competent Citroen repair thread - moved accordingly 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

hi craig
is it a relatively easy job to remove the whole assembly in one piece :?

as you know i have a couple of spares and just thought it might make sense to keep them just in case :lol:

colin
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

Its a doddle. With car well suported and system depressurised and in low setting undo the suspension intlet pipe (its a 8mm on mine). Next comes the 4 X 13mm bolts that hold the strut top onto the inner wing. I removed the wheel as its possible for the driveshaft to pop out when the hub falls down. Disconnest the ARB droplink by removing the 16mm nut whilst holding the balljoint stationary with the suitable size allen key (cant remember the size now :oops: ) Next is to undo the return line from the strut itself (its a flexihose that pushes onto a pre shaped metal pipe) gently twist and pull off. Next is the pinch bolt at the bottom of the strut 1 X 16mm nut and then you manipulate the strut out of the hub (gentle twist and pull motion) and with any luck you should now have the strut top and strut in your hand (along with a load of LHM over you and on the drive). Stop for well earned teabrake and admire your work.

Hope this is of some help - Craig.
Sturdybloke

Update 2

Post by Sturdybloke »

Bit of a update on the Project :evil: :evil: :evil:

After (the shed as it is now known) - Not even making it to the MOT station it sat at the bottom of my parents garden. I had to tax my Rover to get me mobile as the skip (as I have started calling it :evil: :evil: :evil: ) has cost me a (excuse the language), a f***ing fortune over the past two years I really have had enough of it....And I am not kidding. I have bought a Volvo 940 Se Turbo with T&T for the next few months to get me back on the road untill my 400 Series is back on the road next year.

As it now (after much money, Xantia wise) appears to me. A decent car -

Somthing that is worth pis5 all :evil: ](*,) :evil: -

watch this space to see a Xantia have its head kicked in. And the aftermarth spread all over ebay*

*Colin, I stick by my word and will buy the front wing regardless - Craig.
Last edited by Sturdybloke on 28 Sep 2007, 02:16, edited 3 times in total.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

So, you don't fancy another Xantia then...!?
Is that your final answer? :)

Andrew
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

andmcit wrote:So, you don't fancy another Xantia then...!?
Is that your final answer? :)

Andrew
Its no joking matter :x . I really have had enough of Citroens. If you think that you may need a car for spares then drop me a PM.