Removal of the instrument panel?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TehAgent
My Cars:

Removal of the instrument panel?

Post by TehAgent »

Is it just a simple job of removing the top screw then the ones located with in the Air ducts?

Need to remove the ABS bulb and check the fuel level bulb as it doesn't light up very much at night if at all, not going to have enough money to sort that out before the MOT, as i need to sort out the battery and the Front tires plus the exhaust back box.

Lol i need my own separate forum i think. or a new car :P
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I can't remember exactly how it's done, but you need to remove the steering wheel and then the column shrouds, and then the trim panel under the clocks to get at a couple of screws. Removing the ABS bulb will not get you an MOT though if the tester is paying attention....
Richard W
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Well at moment i don't even have ABS as the bulb comes on and stays on. so ABS is always off. if its always off, then the car is treated as a Non ABS car if no bulb lights up. or how else do NON abs cars get through a MOT?.

One of my friends who used to work for citroen as a MOT tester said as long as the bulb doesn't come on and stay on, then its a pass. As there is no way to tell that the car has ABS. either way, i know i cant get it done before the MOT, as i just haven't got enough credits.

£30 for a CPU check just to find out what sensor it is, then £60 for the Sensor and then labour unless i do it my self, and from what i gather, its a pain in the rear end to replace one.
SimonT
My Cars:

Post by SimonT »

It is possible to remove the dash without removing the steering wheel, which obviuosly makes the whole thing alot easier what with air bag and radio controls etc.
It is VERY fiddly but can be done.
You have to put the steering setting down to its lowest setting first and then it is possible to reach the torx screws through the rubber gaiter type seal over the top of the steering wheel.
There are other bits to remove before all this too such as fuse box cover, top and bottom steering column covers etc but these are easy.
When all this is off it's just one top screw and a couple on the bottom of the dash unit and it's out.
I'd change all the bulbs while it's all out to save having to do all this again later if any blow.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any pics or more help?
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

TehAgent wrote:Well at moment i don't even have ABS as the bulb comes on and stays on. so ABS is always off. if its always off, then the car is treated as a Non ABS car if no bulb lights up. or how else do NON abs cars get through a MOT?.

One of my friends who used to work for citroen as a MOT tester said as long as the bulb doesn't come on and stay on, then its a pass. As there is no way to tell that the car has ABS. either way, i know i cant get it done before the MOT, as i just haven't got enough credits.
If they're at all familar with a Xantia its easy to tell - the ABS models have the ABS control block with all the piping coming out of it under the front edge of the LHM tank and the computer right in front of it. Non-ABS models have a big empty space there! It's probably recorded in the vehicles VIN information too.

You ain't fooling anyone!! :) Good luck though! :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Last edited by Mandrake on 11 Apr 2007, 13:12, edited 2 times in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its obvious when a car has ABS - as there are sensor wires, control block under the bonnet etc.

I don't think reading the ECU will reveal anything much. The usual test is to meter each sensor - with a cheap multimeter - which normally will reveal the faulty sensor. Again usually its the lead - and many have been repaired by soldering a length of multi-core co-ax cable in very carefully.

MOT testers handbook here:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/welcome.htm
jeremy
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Ian with your broken steering column surround it'd probably be a bit easy to get the instrument panel out to replace the blown bulbs.
When's your MoT due?

Can anyone post the proceedure to use a multi meter to find a faulty ABS sensor?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Disconnect the cable at a convenient point and set your meter to a resistance setting. Connect it with one terminal to one pole (eg screen if you have a co-ax cable - and the other to the centre terminal. Should read somewhere round 950 ohms. If its broken - no reading.

If you search this site you'll find the pin-outs for most Xantias. I think your car was made after the ECU with the dodgy circuit board (or plastic film) had been abandoned.
jeremy
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Xac.

Have a look in the common problems and fixes archive and you will see a section on Xantia ABS.

Have a look and you will see the pin outs for testing, it's easy!!

Regards
Slim.
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Ok never mind about taking the bulb out,

Well symptoms started since i got the car, At first the ABS light came on, then went out, then whilst driving it would come on and stay on, This happened every time i got in the car, so it was intermittent.

Now it just comes on and stays on. it doesn't go out at all. just sits there laughing at me.

Took the fuse out and nothing happened. ABS light stayed on. Took the fuse out in the engine bay, light stayed on. Unplugged ABS ECU. light stayed on. unplugged ECU light stayed on.

Don't have a multi meter. so cant test the pin outs / sensors.

MOT is due before or on 27th of May. but finances mean i can only do so much before the due day.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Well, I can see if I'm free on Saturday, or Friday after work and bring my meter with me this time.

If I bring the putty, do you think you could take a look at my exhaust pipe and see about stopping the leak behind the back box?

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Yeah i can sort your leak out, if you come down Friday after noon, i should have my own back box that needs to go on too. :)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

ABS is an oddity in the MOT. If ABS is fitted, the light must give the correct sequence - however, that is it - there is no need for the ABS to actually work! A light on all the time, or one that doesn't come on should be cause for fail. Don't worry - the tester will spot it's got ABS as soon as he gets under it - and these days the computerised system should flag up if it's an ABS equipped car. There are ways to make the light work as it's supposed to even if the ABS is non-operational... whether this is morally right or not is another question.... :wink:

We've got an intermittent ABS fault on our ZX - I wish it would give up totally, then I could find out what's wrong with it!
Richard W
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Will find out for certain if I'm free.
I finish work at 5:30, so would get to yours by 6:30

DIY sphere tool