Are Xantias comfortable ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JBUK

Are Xantias comfortable ??

Post by JBUK »

I had a Xantia once quite a few years ago now. It was a 1995 model.
The seats, for me, were excruciatingly uncomfortable. I had permanent backache and there was not really enough support from the squab for the thigh, especially the right one. So I sold it after 6 months of ownership.

I am looking for a car to replace one of my BXs (which have excellent seats).

My question is - do later Xantias have better seats and if so which model(s) have these. I seem to recall that there was redesigned seating at some stage in the Xantias history.

A further question. Which is the diesel to go for for performance and economy. The HDI 110 or a TD ?
BX GTI 8v-290k - RIP
BX GTI 8v-96k +AC
BX TD Estate 74k
BX TD 187k +AC
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Over the past fifteen years I've had a BX TZD, an SX Xantia and now a C5 exclusive. The BX seats without a doubt were the best of them all. The C5 are OK, but I was never happy with the Xantia's. In fact they were awful. All three cars I had from new and frequently do a 1400 mile journey into Europe, completing the journey over two days. The Xantia made it a painful experience.

PS. Looking at new Xantias in 1998, the seats didn't vary in comfort according to trim level - only in fabric covering. IMHO if you can find a good one, find a late 2.1.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I had two Xantias.

A 1995 SX with seats as you describe, a little short on the squab.

A 1998 exclusive with the leather electric seats which are fantastic.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I concur - the seats in the SX (manually adjustable) while not awful, are just not comfortable for me - they're just the wrong shape.

On the other hand the velour cloth Electric seats in my VSX whilst firm are quite comfortable because they are the right shape and have a lot of adjustment including upper and lower lumbar and side support.

I too read about uncomfortable seats before getting a Xantia, so I was pleasantly surprised by the seats in my VSX. I imagine the leather electric seats in an Exclusive are even better.

My only criticism is that electric seats without a memory function can be a bit of a nuiscence if you regularly have more than one driver.

If seat comfort is important to you and you've had bad experiences before with the baseline model, make sure you don't get an LX or an SX - get a VSX or Exclusive.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I find the seats take ages and ages to mould themselves to you, once this process is complete, they're fine.

I agree about going for a top-spec model with the fully adjustable seats. Problem is, there is so many adjustments it can take weeks to find the best combination :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

I can vouch for the electric leathers in a 2.1td exclusive, they are more comfy than my parents sofas for long term sitting in one position, they are infinately adjustable in any directions except sideways of course, and they have twin lumbar support...

you wanna buy mine?

or buy an XM, they are supposed to be good, although you get swallowed in them.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Definately agree with the comments above on electic seats, I've now owned just about every type of Xantia and wouldn't buy another without them.

As most electric seats were combined with the leather option, go for the later version where the stitching runs across the car (rather than front to back) as the base of the seat is longer giving more support under your thighs, they are also softer.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Never really had a problem with my seats. did a 550mile round trip the other week in my SX, with the swede (spelling?) seats and it was very comfortable.

Though saying that, I've never been in any of the top of the range cars so can not speak about them.

Though now I'm in need of a good interior
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The HDI has un-surpassed low rpm torque. Thats the most impressing news on the HDI technology.
Look up the figures on your national Citroen homepage. Compare to available 1.9-2.1TD figures !
Even a 1.6HDI has surprising high torque at low rpm.

Its possible to move over a good pair of BX seats. But remember the BX seats weak point is the headrests. Or purchace some of the extremely good 'sport' seats available - which can be moved over to the next car when time comes.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I have a 94/5 VSX and have no gripes with the seats and I have some fairly serious and chronic back injuries so either they are the right shape for my twisted back or VSX seats are better than some other models.
The biggest trip I've done was 930 klms each way over a weekend in the middle of summer (up to 50 degrees) with full passenger (4 plus drver) and full luggage load.
Week before Easter I did an 800 klms round trip in one day with 4 up, but as someone said, there's a lot of adjustments, so maybe you need to spend a lot of time getting the seat set just right which I have to do out of necessity.
I have a couple of BXs and in all honesty whilst they may be softer, I don't think you could say they were more comfortable over a long trip than the Xantia.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Xantia seats seem to suit some people better than others. I'm 6' tall, with long legs, and I had no trouble with the seats in my 1995 LX, but I find the lumbar support in my 1997 VSX intrusive - it gives me back ache unless I have the seat reclined - which makes reaching the steering wheel difficult, but this is overcome by slightly raising the seat which makes for a reasonable compromise on seat position (not for the rear seat passengers behind me though :wink: ) - I drive nearly 2000 miles / month, and have done several weekends of 1000 miles, involving 15+ hours of driving with out any aches. The C5 I drove the other week though felt instantly comfortable - much more like the armchairs of Citroens past! My mate had a 93 VSX with leather seats, and they were just like Gentlemen's club armchairs!
Richard W
deian

Post by deian »

AndersDK wrote:The HDI has un-surpassed low rpm torque. Thats the most impressing news on the HDI technology.
Look up the figures on your national Citroen homepage. Compare to available 1.9-2.1TD figures !
Even a 1.6HDI has surprising high torque at low rpm.
I'd be really interested in these figures, mine pulls from just a touch above 1000rpm in 5th up a slight hill at 30mph. Of course it won't speed up, but it doesn't slow down, some places it does die up hills, others it will pull like a train, it will keep goin up 'Rhuallt' hill on the A55 (n.wales, if anyone knows about that one) in 5th doing well over 90 with two people and a luggage full of boot and back seats, not bad considering it's done over 205k miles, maybe the broken back box pipe helped going up 'rhuallt hill'.

I'd love to try the HDi, the economy figures are much better, but they carry a premium when buying the car.

Anyway, back to the subject in hand: seats...

I heard the older VSX ones have inflatable bolsters to hold you tighter in the seats? If you could combine that with the comfort of the later leather ones (with the stitching across), and side airbags (which i don't have), they would be really good seats overall, but i doubt the side airbags would come with inflatable bolsters.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Scroll down to the bottom of this page
http://www.citroen.co.uk/level4/technic ... =c5&lhn=c5
Read the engine specs from the table.
This is YOUR national Citroen homepage - not mine.
Call Citroen with any complains of yours :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

My 98 Xantia sx is not as comfortable as the BX re-seats but it is comfy enough, I have done a few 350 milers non-stop without geting deadbum, the Xantia isnt as quick up the Ruallt hill as the BX though :twisted:
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

My 98 Xantia sx is not as comfortable as the BX re-seats but it is comfy enough, I have done a few 350 milers non-stop without geting deadbum, the Xantia isnt as quick up the Ruallt hill as the BX though :twisted:
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.