engine mounting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiaBFY
My Cars:

engine mounting

Post by xantiaBFY »

guys,

changed my top engine mounting recently and after exposing it found the top part had broken off.To my surprise I found the mounting dripping lots of oil.......Anyway the sensation of engine smoothness came back....sigh :D
xantiaBFY
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I've often wondered if the top mounting is in fact a liquid filled mounting - which I know are sometimes used. I'd have thought the liquid used would have been anti-freeze or something similar
jeremy
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

I'm not sure if its anti freeze or not but it feels oily when i touch it.
xantiaBFY
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

all the broken top mounts i have seen on citroens have never been wet with anything,the only ones i have found to be wet are the lower stabaliser bush,as it gets soaked in engine oil
regards malcolm
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Hydrostatic (fluid filled) engine mounts are quite commonplace these days, but i've not looked that heavily at a Xantia too see if they have them..
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Did the old & broken mount looked like it had a cavity for fluid ? - even a sponged middle section in the mouldings ? That would be the proof.

Otherwise its common that any spillage of fluid from service can rest for years down there in the scret corners of the engine bay. Even tools, nuts & bolts may be hidden down there in considerable amounts.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

as far as my untrain eye can see...there is a cavity. I think its within becos when i turn over the mounting more of it came out.. :shock:
xantiaBFY
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what year and model is this car,i think if the remains of your mount do have fluid in it has come from elswhere,has the car had the O/S front hydraulic feed pipe to the strut fractured,any time recently
regards malcolm
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

mine is a non hydactive TD and locally assembled in Malaysia in year 2000.So far no leaks at any of the hydraulics near the front spheres. But anyway guys it just my observation and the main thing is after changing it .......aaaaaaahhhhhh :D :D :D
xantiaBFY