The Activa: Two Months On...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

The Activa: Two Months On...

Post by CitroJim »

I have been wanting an Activa for ages and a while ago I finally got one.

I thought a 2000 model would be relatively good and OK. I knew it had a few minor issues when purchased but one expects that on any Xantia. Little did I know :twisted:

In truth, my initial feelings were of immense disappointment. It was harsh, drank fuel, handled like any other Xantia and bloody uncomfortable. It overheated on the trip home and nearly ended up in a ditch when I tried taking a corner a bit enthusiastically. The heating blew hot and cold. It was a heap, basically, and I seriously wondered if I'd done the right thing, especially as my old Mk1 SX TD Xantia was in excellent condition and very well sorted. :cry: :cry: Luckily it was cheap and all the major items seemed OK. I was nearly reduced to real tears when I found the front passengers side was completely saturated with water :cry: :cry: I was alarmed the first time I saw it leaning over to one side after an overnight stop :o

Worst of all, my 14 year old daughter hated it. She accused me of being disloyal to my blue Xantia (the SX TD). That hurt the most. No worries as I still have it and won't part with it even if it only gets used for towing the caravan nowadays. In quiet retirement you might say...

A good inspection revealed it had more bugs than the average Russian Embassy. Slowly, with much commerce with GSF and with outstanding help from this forum, especially Anders and DickieG, I have exterminated most of the bugs and learned much in the process. Most of the bugs were relatively minor in themselves but as a whole they practically condemmed the car to the scrappies and at a stroke make anyone hate a Xantia.

One of my biggest gripes was I just could not get comfy in the drivers seat. So many adjustments on the semi-electric seat but none made it like an armchair for me.

Now, it is a different matter. The seat seems to have come to terms with me and has finally moulded itself to my body and it's comfy. Took a long time though. Everything is now working more-or-less properly and I'm loving it!

It is a lot smoother now the duff Hydractive Electrovalve is sorted and is riding on (nearly all) new spheres. Handling has improved immensely now the Activa bits are working as they should.

It is simply a joy to drive. I live on the outskirts of Milton Keynes and it is just made for going around roundabouts that abound in that city :wink: I have always hated cars that roll, one of those funny things about me, I just cannot take too much lateral movement before becoming uncomfortable. I cannot fly because just the least bit of turbulence or change in altitude makes me terribly unsettled so from that point of view, the Activa suits me just perfectly :D My idea of hell is to be made to ride a roller coaster.

The engine has torque by the bucketful and is what I would describe as "lazy". No need of an auto box here, the gears hardly need changing as once rolling, only 4th and 5th are needed. It'll quite happily take off from a standstill in third!

The Activa is not really sporty so much as a relaxed high-speed cruiser that can get from point A to B very quickly in quiet and comfort. It is too refined to be a true sportster. It is useless as a traffic light dragster due to turbo lag but it flies along very rapidly once on the move. The true speed you are going is not communicated to you very well and you can find yourself travelling at very silly speeds if you're not careful, especially given its ability to seemingly straighten out bends. It seems to glue itself to the road and run on rails. The only similar travel experience is a Pendolino train. I guess the Activa is the road-going equivilent of it..

I love how understated it is. A bit of a "sleeper" really. To the casual observer it is just another Xantia. Except for the discreet door logos, it gives no clue whatsoever to what hides within.

Fuel economy is still a bit of a shock after the TD but is, in truth, not bad if you drive sensibly. It prefers to drink Shell V-Power and is noticably more economical on the stuff.

So there it is, an Activa is a rewarding car but is not for the faint hearted. They are high-maintenance and hard on the pocket but truely an excellent car once sorted.

Mine will be with me for a long time, especially given how much time, blood, sweat, tears and money I have expended on it. I'm nearly at the point where I can just drive and enjoy it :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

She is a beauty Jim that's for sure.
Just wish we'd been able to get those last two spheres off (will post pics of my somewhat buckled tool later).
It's very strange to go round winding bends rolling a bit in my 2.1 with yours in the rear view mirror not rolling at all!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I agree with Jim's comments, especially on the high maintanenance and as I'm in a simliar position with the amount of work completed (new heater matrix is the latest) I'll more than likely keep mine for a while yet.

Its due to the high maintenance (cost/time) that Activa's are becoming quite thin on the ground and then those that are left require a fair degree of dedication to get properly sorted so resale values are at rock bottom.

If you are thinking of getting one do it soon before they are all gone or just too expensive to be put right again!
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Xac wrote:She is a beauty Jim that's for sure.
Just wish we'd been able to get those last two spheres off (will post pics of my somewhat buckled tool later).
It's very strange to go round winding bends rolling a bit in my 2.1 with yours in the rear view mirror not rolling at all!
Which two spheres were these Xac? I need to get the Activa Balancing Sphere replaced, as i reckon its a bit flat, i suspect this may be one of them.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

XantiaMan583 wrote:
Xac wrote:She is a beauty Jim that's for sure.
Which two spheres were these Xac? I need to get the Activa Balancing Sphere replaced, as i reckon its a bit flat, i suspect this may be one of them.
It was the activa and hydractive center sphere rears.
My tool wasn't up to it, but I believe DickieG got them off with a proper tool so AFAIK they were swapped :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I recall changing some of the centre rear sphere's but as to what ones they were :? hopefully Jim may remember.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I think its the front activa sphere In need of replacement. I don't recall seeing any old ones at the back when the back box was fitted.

Hopefully the front one won't be too difficult to shift, probably need to remove the battery and tray?
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

What are your symptoms Gareth? Mine does a funny lean to one side, then jumps back up. This coincides with the regulator click. Only happens when stopped.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

XantiaMan583 wrote:I think its the front activa sphere In need of replacement. I don't recall seeing any old ones at the back when the back box was fitted.

Hopefully the front one won't be too difficult to shift, probably need to remove the battery and tray?
You can get to it by removing the air filter but IIRC you remove it from below as its connecting pipe enters the sphere from above similar to the anti-sink sphere.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

No major symptoms, just a bit lazy to react for first 10 minutes, its also the only sphere not been replaced since I've had it and I want to get it 'spot on' in that department. I've not got any contact details for Martin @ pleiades, dropped him a pm yesterday as hoping to get it sorted soon.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7