C5 First 100.000 miles

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sir Clive

C5 First 100.000 miles

Post by Sir Clive »

Just passed the 100,000 mile in my C5 estate on the way to work this morning :D
I've owned it since new, and hope for a lot more life out of it yet. I couldn't afford to change it anyway.
Apart from routine servicing it's been pretty reliable, and has never let me down on the road. The emphasis here is on the 'routine servicing' bit, as I don't think the car would be tolerant of neglect. OTOH, there's nothing too difficult about it.

1) Recalled to have new rear axle beam fitted-wore out the first set of tyres in 18,00 miles :shock:

2) Has so far had four rear widows-the internal wiring breaks and then they can't be opened independantly of the tailgate. They were all done under warranty, now the current one has failed I'm not sure I can be bothered to fork out myself to get it fixed.

3) The rear silencer rotted out within two years, I believe the design has now been slightly changed. Anyway, I bought a stainless steel silencer from Longlife exhausts. A little noisier but half the price of a OEM replacement and guaranteed for the life of the car.

4) Failure of steering column UJ. Symptoms:Lots of play at the steering wheel rim, about 2 inches. Had to have a new column fitted which cost about £300 in total. Not an unheard of problem with the C5.

5) The infamous dual mass flywheel failed at about 90k, so I had it changed at the same time as the cambelt and pulley.

6) Absolutely essential to remove the rear calipers yearly to check for any corrosion buildup betwen the mounting faces. Copaslip on here, and also on the mounting bolts keeps everything sweet.

The engine is a chipped 2.0L Hdi. No Eolys fluid to top up, and low CO2 emissions, £110 road tax. Average fuel consumption on a long journey is about 50 mpg, on ordinary day to day use about 45-46 mpg, and I don't hang around.....

I do an oil and filter change every 6000 miles, with semi synthetic oil. To date, oil consumption between services is negligble.
A bottle of Forte diesel treatment every 6 months seems to keep the fuel system happy, no problems to report here.

No signs of any visible rust or decay on the bodyshell.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

It should begin to run a bit better now that its run in properly :wink:
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That is not bad in 100,000 miles. I make an assumption that everything else has been faultless :wink: That is seriously good :)

Rear windows and dual-mass flywheels apart, they seem pretty long-lived then.

Looks like they'll be worth picking up second-hand in a few years, especially if the flywheel has been done. Is the non-functioning rear window a show-stopper or can it be lived with?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

The rear tailgate window isn't really a problem. The independant opening is nice to have but I don't really miss it.
Sure, there have been one or two minor niggles with the car, but honestly, nothing that sticks in my mind particularly. I owned an HDi Xantia before this, and of the two cars, I think that overall the C5 is the better one
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, the C5 does a lot of towing, in itself no problem. I made the mistake of having a Bosal towbar fitted with a detachable hitch. Not a good move, the detachable bit tends to wear and come loose. I had one replaced FOC, and have resorted to building up the other one with weld every 18 months or so when it starts to rattle......
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

[quote="Sir Clive"]I made the mistake of having a Bosal towbar fitted with a detachable hitch. Not a good move, the detachable bit tends to wear and come loose.quote]

I've read on other forums that the Witter detachable ball also becomes loose and developes a wobble. I was just on the point of forking out for one, but instead I'll put up with the flanged ball upsetting the rear parking sensors.

Agree about the rear caliper bolts and the seizing up of same. I removed mine and coated with copperslip at one year old. They came out easily.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

What chip you got in it Sir Clive and does it make a big improvement.
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Hi Den

I took the car into Superchips, as they're not that far from me. The performance of the car seems a lot better than standard :D

I'm sure that the plug in tuning boxes you can buy are equally as good.
np
My Cars:

Re: C5 First 100.000 miles

Post by np »

[quote="Sir Clive"]
The engine is a chipped 2.0L Hdi. No Eolys fluid to top up, and low CO2 emissions, £110 road tax. Average fuel consumption on a long journey is about 50 mpg, on ordinary day to day use about 45-46 mpg, and I don't hang around.....

[quote]
Road tax now £115 a year as i`ve just taxed my 406 110.Also remapped to 140 bhp ish,& getting good mpg about the same as your figures.Have seen over 60 mpg on 1 journey! :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k