Insurance.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

LeeDJC
My Cars:

Insurance.....

Post by LeeDJC »

I see from many people's sigs that they run multiple cars. What do you guys do regarding insurance? Do you have them covered under one policy, or fork out for multiple policies? Or do you phone them up when you want to drive another car and chop and change the insurance round?

The reason I ask, is that I've just bought an Activa Turbo, but wouldn't mind keeping the 1.9D as a bit of a workhorse, and to use when the Activa's gone wrong (not very often I hope), but can't justify two separate policies for this.

Cheers!
Lee
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well, for me, this is how it works..

The 205 GTi is on a limited mileage "classic" policy. Very cheap for me at 47 :D

The Activa is on my normal policy with SWMBO as a named driver,

The TD is on SWMBO's normal policy wth me as named driver and finally,

The 205D is on Dad's normal poilcy with me as named driver.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

At present the wife runs the Picasso on her own insurance, I run the Berlingo, V6 and one of my Activa's on separate policies, the other Activa (which will be used for spares) and TD are on SORN.

My present company don't allow multiple cars to run on one policy so I'm about to investigate alternatives. Any suggestions anyone?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I run the C5 and Saxo on separate policies with two different companies. I did have them with the same company but when I was hit up the tail end in the Saxo, not only did they record the accident on the Saxo policy, but they flagged it up on the other one. They wouldn't listen to protests - so I changed. The other two are on daughters' own policies.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Run 3 cars all on separate policies. A few years back I came across a company offering a private fleet policy but the cost of the fleet policy was more than the total of the 3 individual policies. More now seem to be doing family fleet policies but I suspect you can still get a cheaper total shopping for each on individually. It also means you can build up several NCB. For a middle aged low risk driver (aka me) there are a number of internet based companies that will provide insurance by the day from about £10 a day. Log on, pay by card and you can get almost instant cover, might work out cheaper if you only use the second car a day a month or so on average. Obviously its not insured the rest of the time so needs to be kept off the road. Slight warning I've heard rumours that there are moves to make it an offence in the UK to own a vehicle and not have it insured regardless of whether it is being used on the road or not. (I'm sure someone better informed than me can comment on this)
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I insure my ZX with Jean as a named driver..

Jean insures the Honda with me as a named driver..

Both cars are fully com.

It's not cheap, but it seems the best of a lot of poor options. :(
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.

Post by 504 »

if you looking to keep an older car say a 205/ BX etc and can live with restriction of 5000 miles, then try for a classic policy. You need to have a main car and the second car be kept off the road at night, drive or garage normally. You generally get breakdown, show cover all under the fully comp and you dont need any no claims. The Samba is £97 ! I also had a quote for a 505TI 2.0L inj which was also £97. so it seems they are happy with the risk rather than the car. I used Richard Hoskins, http://www.rhclassicinsurance.co.uk/ but its best to phone!
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

They arent restricted miles per se as if someone else drives the cars then they can cover more than those miles and its not on your insurance, so lets say you let uncle bob the builder borrow your car for a few days at a time cos its cheap to run and he clocks the miles up. its not you thats doing the miles on your policy but him driving it TPFT and covering the miles on that :)
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Over the years I've actually forked the thick end of 5 main separate
policies (ouch - I know, I know!)

Of course recently, I've discovered a new trend where a few companies,
including MORE TH>N (who I'm now with) allow me multiple car insurances
with my same proof of no claims. I think they work on the logic that you
can't be driving ALL the insured cars simultaneously if you have an
accident and in fact are spreading your mileage over more cars but
covering the same annual mileage; in a way you are spreading the risk
like for like or even more favorably. (well; that's my theory anyhow! :roll: :lol: 8) )

I've got at least half a dozen policies with them now - and they are STILL
the best deal for me when I shop around...!

I do state the annual mileages to be 4k-5k each on the schedule

Andrew