My ZX rear wiper is alive !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DanDare
My Cars:

My ZX rear wiper is alive !

Post by DanDare »

Driving along happily the other day & out of the blue my rear wiper stuttered then completed a few swipes, went off then stuttered again & so on without me going near the stalk.

Does anyone have experience with this paranormal activity ?

Thanks.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Used to happen on ours - I put it down to interference with the wiring due to an aftermarket immobilser being fitted but having now removed it I think this explanation is unlikely.

It doesn't do it now - and I have no explanation. I wonder if the switch was dirty - providing enough current to trigger the timing device - and as it did it on startup there may have been some spikes somewhere or something - possibly provided by the immobiliser on ours.
jeremy
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Ours has done it a couple of times when the girlfriend has been driving, wiping continuously until the ignition was switched off. She isn't sure if it started from a 'commanded' wipe or not!

Hasn't done it to me though. I'll probably do something about it if/when it does! :oops: I'm guessing it could be the switch, or else the timer relay. A few other relays have gone off recently - must be a 100,000 mile lifespan!

Interestingly, GSF and Euro Car Parts both offer the lights and horn stalk, but not the wiper one!

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
slim123

Post by slim123 »

If my memory serves me right, remove the panel on the inside of the tailgate and have a look next to the motor, here you will find a blue relay. If you take this off and open it up you will find corrosion inside.

This relay needs replacing.

Me thinks that they leak a little around the wiper spindle and this is where the water goes.

Regards
Slim.
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

I used to have this back last summer, it would like not to work when i wanted it to, then activate itself when it felt like doing so.

As Slim says, open up the tailgate, and well, when i open mine it can be slightly dam also to the extent it drips a bit when the boot is open. I put it down to a duff relay when it eventually died completely as the correct pins were going live when i switched the stalk. I'm still trying to find time to find the leak :roll:

Edd
ZX 1.4I 1993 Reflex KDX
DanDare
My Cars:

Post by DanDare »

Thanks for all the suggestions, i'll check out the relay & replace as/if required.

Cheers.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Mine has ceased to do it. I've never had any leakage through the wiper or elsewhere into the car (and did have the lock to pieces a couple of years ago.)
jeremy
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Yup most likely down to the relay in the tailgate :D
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(