Xantia 1.9TD Estate N/S Wishbone bush

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Keith J

Xantia 1.9TD Estate N/S Wishbone bush

Post by Keith J »

I have to replace the front N/S wishbone bush on my N reg Xantia (lots of play). I don't have a press, is this feasible for me to do at home without one. I have an engineers vice and a big hammer. Can I drift the bush in, if I find a suitable drift? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

It's the bush towards the front of the car if it's not clear from the above.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Getting the old one out is normally the fun bit. I often end up hacksawing through the steel tubes to relieve the tension on the outer sleeve so that it can be driven out.

I'd make sure the leading edge has a slight bevel on it to prevent it digging into the wishbone, grease the outside and try and squeeze it in using a vice and anything handy as spacers. The secret is to make sure the wishbone hole is clean and the bush does not tip as it goes in.
jeremy
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Thanks. It sounds like one of those "Easy" jobs that ends up with lots of frustrated swearing. I will give it a go. I best brush up on my finest expletives.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

I would tend to agree with Jeremy, try removing the blade from the hacksaw, put it through the bush and then re-connect it to the frame, then saw through the remaining rubber and the outer metal of the bush.

The only other suggestion is to replace both bushes on the wishbone, if you have play in one end, the other end will have suffered, so it's just as well to do the both whilst it's apart.

Regards
Slim.