XUD Oil Pump Drive Chain Tension.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

David W
My Cars:

XUD Oil Pump Drive Chain Tension.

Post by David W »

Guys,

Been years since I've been inside a 1.9TD sump.... so reliable these engines! Anyway I'm changing the sump on my newly bought Xantia Estate as the old one is damaged.

While it's off I've been tweaking the oil pump drive chain and pondering if it feels a bit slack. It probably isn't but, as far as you can describe a tension in words, how slack/tight should they be?

Thanks,

David
2009 C5 HDi VTR+Nav Tourer
2006 C3 HDi Desire
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

It just sort of lies there, theres no tensioner is there? and from memory one of the sprockets is plastic :P
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi David -

Last time I was in that place on an XU I also noticed the chain was pretty slack - approx 15mm movement both sides - but by no means able to touch itself on the run between the cogs. Its normal as there are no means of taking up or adjusting the slack - except shim the entire oil pump base with the characteristic L-shaped steel spacer.

If you do a simple calculation on a circle - and then add just 1/4 a mm to the radius - think about the resulting increase in perimeter lenght : 2*pi/4 = 1.57mm.
No wonder the chain will be slack after a run-in period :idea: :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Thanks. That's what I'd hoped to hear. With no tensioner or "slippper" guides (like an older type engine timing chain for example) I guess it will flop about a bit at rest. I'll not worry about it.

As a matter of interest the reason my sump is damaged is because it appears my car (at less than 70K) has suffered the classic engine failure at no.4 conrod. They have replaced the engine but used the old sump with alloy welded repairs front/rear where the various engine parts had tried to escape. It was a DHX code.

The things you find when getting that shiny new purchase home!!

David
2009 C5 HDi VTR+Nav Tourer
2006 C3 HDi Desire