Wot! No reverse gear.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pugsulike
My Cars:

Wot! No reverse gear.

Post by Pugsulike »

I have a 2001 406 2.0 Hdi 110 estate manual transmission with 155k on the clock. Since I bought it in 2003 reverse gear has been intermittently obstinate, sometimes taking 2 attempts to get reverse. The gears would baulk but returning to neutral and releasing the clutch before trying again would cure it.

However, in the last couple of weeks, reverse has been hard to find. The gearlever will go full travel to the reverse position easily enough but it is as though it still needs a bit more travel. It sometimes refuses to select or jumps out of reverse and I now have to hold the lever firmly in position whilst releasing the clutch, after which I can release the lever and it will normally stay in gear. It does not make any nasty noises once engaged, so I think the gears are OK.

Is there any adjustment that can be made to the linkages? Might the cables need replacing? My Haines manual indicates that it will be an ML5T gearbox (?!) with cables (rather than rods) linking the gearlever to the 'box but does not mention adjustments.

Forward gears are fine, no problems at all. Reverse is positioned bottom right on the lever, opposite 5th. The car had a new clutch fitted about 12k ago. Thanks.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

synchro on 5th gear is adjustable and acts as a reverse gear brake,slacken 13mm bolt on selector pull selector rod out as far as you can and slide 5th gear fork towards gearbox so it just contacts 5th gear synchro then tighten bolt.if yours is to tight or too slack could effect reverse.also drop gearbox oil out as they are prone to drawing in a bit of moisture through breather 3rd gear especially bad when this happens 8)
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
Pugsulike
My Cars:

Post by Pugsulike »

Thanks Pugxpert, will give this a go tomorrow.
Pugsulike
My Cars:

Post by Pugsulike »

Have checked out the linkage but couldn't find any form of adjustment. There are two cables that connect the gearlever to the selector on the gearbox (I believe earlier models used rods) which are attached to the car by brackets and secured by a horseshoe shaped clip that locates into a slot in the cable housing each end and the cables then attach to the gearlever and gearbox selector by means of balljoints. I cannot detect any way of adjusting the cables. I've done a bit of fiddling around, but don't think it will make any difference. I'm not confident enough to remove the selector mechanism - it may not even be possible - 'cos knowing my luck, something would fall into the gearbox.

I guess that my next option is to buy a new cable (about £65 :cry: , dealer only part), try it and then replace the other cable as well if that doesn't work. Have to order the part so I will have another go next weekend (and sort out the oil) and let you know how I get on. Unless, of course, anybody has any suggestions............
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

adjustment is inside gearbox,drop of end cover and adjust on 5th gear synchro
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
Pugsulike
My Cars:

Post by Pugsulike »

Thanks pugxpert, but I replaced the right hand (driver's side) cable between gearlever and gear selector a couple of days ago and gearchange has been perfect ever since and noticibly more positive than it used to be.

For a couple of weeks I have used the following system to get reverse gear;

Attach a piece of wire (because it is not affected by heat) to the gear selector and run it across the engine bay between engine and bulkhead to the offside bonnet hinge. Then attach a length of string to the wire and run the string out through the bonnet, round the windscreen pillar and into the car through the driver's door. Attach a cable tie to the end of the string to act as a handle and loop it over the wiper stalk. Now, when you want reverse, move gearlever to reverse position and give the string a firm pull. This will move the selector into reverse. Replace the cable tie over the wiper stalk ready for next time.

Surprisingly, this worked without fail for 2 weeks!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Some family of my wifes once had a Morris Marina with no working wipers - until he found out the wipers could be pushed back & forth. Then he attached a rope in a loop through both side windows to make her wife the wiper master during drive.

You got to survive :lol:

(Later they got a GS, even later a 2CV and last time they visited us, they were driving a BX 8) )
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Pugsulike
My Cars:

Post by Pugsulike »

Did his wife ever wonder why she was only ever taken for a drive when it was raining? Be interesting to see what an MOT tester would make of it.

Reminds me of a Mk I Cortina I had. The windscreen washers broke so I used an old washing up liquid bottle full of water which I squirted on the windscreen through the driver's window. When MOT time came, the tester scratched his head and said that as it cleaned the area of the front screen swept by the wipers, he would pass it! :D