xantia 1.9td starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dan_the_v8man
My Cars:

xantia 1.9td starting problems

Post by dan_the_v8man »

Hi all

Went to start my 94 xantia 1.9td lx (115k) the other day at work and it sounded really rough starting and blew a loud of white smoke out of the back. first time its done that.

after that its been fine untill last night when i went to start it. first time i tried to start it i wouldnt start. turned the keyback and glow plugs on again, this time it started. the second occasion im suspecting the glow plugs but that wouldnt explain the white smoke the first time round

also, when breaking lightly from around 30mph, just as the car is getting down to about 5mph the engine cuts out. its done this twice in about two weeks. any suggestions?

i've run the occasionally on part veg oil and diesel so im going to check the fuel filter when time permits

Cheers

Dan
Dec 94 Xantia LX 1.9 TD 116k - My first car :D
slim123

Post by slim123 »

If the glow plugs aint working properly then you will get unburnt fuel vapour out of the exhaust, along with the normal exhaust gasses from the cylinders that do work, hence the white smoke.

I would suggest checking the glow plugs first, but that will not account for it cutting out.

Other problems may be lurking!!!!

Regards
Slim.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dan -

I'm pretty sure you have a leak in the fuel lines from tank into the filter out to the pump.
Air will get in and allow the fuel standing in the feed line from tank to sink back, and the engine needs lots of cranking to get the fuel up line again.
After a while when car is parked you experience the same problem again.
Air will also cause the engine to stall during idle, and make for other strange things - like a sudden self-increasing idle or pull when driving.

All because the fuel volume regulator makes its own small nasty tricks if it operates with air.

Common problems are :
1) Fuel rubber hose surface hair line cracks, deeper cracks over studs
2) overflow return hoses from injectors
3) filter housing seal
4) Filter housing lid out of shape
5) rusty fuel lines under the car

You can use any standard diesel fuel hoses suitable diameter for repair.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The engine should start (badly) on 2 glowplugs, and quite well on 3. They often fail in quick succession due to manufacturing tolerances (if trhey were perfectly made they'd fail together!)

Once the engine is firing the plugs will make no difference at all. their function is simply to assist starting.

The white smoke will be unburnt fuel - so if it starts on 3, there will be unburnt fuel on the 4th cylinder.

The glowplugs can be tested with a test lamp - just take nut off the terminal off the top and the circuit is between the terminal and earth.

It actually sounds to me as though you have an air leak somewhere in the fuel supply circuit - which may account for the stalling as well. If you have a Bosch pump air can enter the pump through the leakoff pipes as well. Roto-Diesels just leak and smell.
jeremy
dan_the_v8man
My Cars:

Post by dan_the_v8man »

i took the car onto some long grass the other day

since then two hoses have been hanging down underneath midway along the car. i havent had chance to get the car over the pit yet. could these be fuel hoses?

also when i recently changed the cambelt i had to replace the return feed to the tank as it had cracked when i jacked the engine so i imagine other pipes will be getting hard and cracking
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

It they were fuel hoses I think you'd be loosing (one fifth?) of your fuel due to a broken return hose. They're probably LHM return hoses.

Yes hard hoses may be letting air in - and it tends to form bubbles and hence problems when the car is standing.

Hard leakoff's on a Bosch pump will cause problems as well. Cheap to replace - get a length of small fuel hose and cut to length. I find a pair of long nosed pliers helps. Don't forget the end cap.
jeremy
dan_the_v8man
My Cars:

Post by dan_the_v8man »

yes i was loosing a fair bit of fuel when the return went

where is the best place to start checking the hoses as it isnt something i've done before (and dont any one say under the bonnet :P )

thanks
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

The leak off pipes (daisy chain from one injector to another) are my favourite - and also check the little "stub" on the last one. The best way to confirm an air leak is pump the primer bulb till its hard (!) before starting and see if you get an improvement..My old Xantia TD needed the primer bulb treatment if it was left for more than 2 hours until i replaced all the leak off pipes. About £6 from Halfords and half an hour...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Probably the best thing for air leak tracing is to replace the last bit of fuel supply hose to the pump with a section of clear plastic pipe so you can see what is happening.

Leaks may be pipes, the filter, the fuel heater thermostat (in the filter body - the bung like thing at the lower back left of the filter housing) It will only be the leakoff pipes if you have a Bosch injection pump.
jeremy
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

In addition to all the useful suggestions offered by the previous contributors. Check the Fuel Filter housing. I had a problem similar to yours some months ago, and after checking the fuel lines, found a small leak in the fuel filter housing. Leak was on that (white) plug on the side, which is held in with a spring clip - I KNOW NOT it's function. Mine is a 96 Xantia and I got a replacement in a scrapyard, which was off a 405 Peugeot, had to fit the wiring plug on it, which I took off my old housing.