106 car with blown head gasket

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SimonT
My Cars:

106 car with blown head gasket

Post by SimonT »

Hi all. I've got the chance to buy a 106 dirt cheap as the head gasket has blown apparently. I wanted to get this car for a first car for my daughter. Is it a simple repair job as in renewing gaskets, oil, coolant etc or does this fault cause other problems that make the whole engine not worth working on?
Even though it's cheap, I don't want to be left with a wreck on my hands thinking it was going to be an easy job.
Any advice is appreciated.
Cheers.
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

What engine Simon?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Simon, Just thinking about this.

If it has an iron block petrol TU engine than the usual problem is a an oil leak from the head gasket. Easy that, just a straight replacement of the gaskets. The TU is a great and long-lived engine that is very easy to repair.

The little TUD diesel engine is not the best engine ever produced by PSA and I believe there are some fundamental problems with them with regards to the head and keeping it sealed to the block/liners. If it has head issue they may be best avoided. They also have Lucas pumps and their attendant problems.

Also, carefully check the rest of the car, especially the rear beam. They are very similar to the 205 beam and not known for either their longlivity nor cheapness to repair if the trailing arm bearings have collapsed and wrecked the shafts and ovalised the beam tube.

Some early 106s (and Saxos) are also showing rust on the rear suspension mountings now as well. Not easy to fix.

An engine needing work and a duff rear-end may just put the car beyound economic repair.

Of course if the price is really right...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

It would have helped if you had mentioned which engine. However, the diesel fitted to the 106 will depend on the year. The later 1.5 does not have liners, and is a splendid little engine.
Our 106 1.5D was the most reliable car we have ever owned.
Brian.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Also the rear beam for our (ex) AX 1.5d 5dr was only £25 from a scrappy, fitted two new shocks, new pads to it, and put it back on the car.

The whole job was only about 4 hours, including taking it off, cleaning up the new one, and doing the brakes, as well as a pipe which had corroded.

The AX / 106 / Saxo are all very similar running gear, if not the same on some model year combinations.

Bear in mind that replacement engines are fairly cheap, so it may be worth getting a known good engine, do the gaskets / belts / seals / clutch on that, and put that in the car. Repair the bad engine ( if you want ) and flog that separately.
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mbunting wrote:Also the rear beam for our (ex) AX 1.5d 5dr was only £25 from a scrappy, fitted two new shocks, new pads to it, and put it back on the car.
That is a very good deal :) I was basing my thoughts on 205 beams which cost upwards of £300 to properly rebuild. Good ones are now firmly into rocking-horse territory in scrappies and those good ones that do still exist, the breakers know their value, especially to us GTi owners :roll:
Jim

mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Even more useful is that I work in a manufacturing plant, so have access to various equipment, including presses, welding, cnc machines etc..

Not that I have used anything other than a press so far :-)
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof