Changing Spheres on C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C5IAM
My Cars:

Changing Spheres on C5

Post by C5IAM »

Should the system be under pressure or not? I've 2 mechanic friends, they both say that any hydraulic system should be de-pressurized before attemting to undo unions etc. When under pressure they maintain it is very difficult. The lift we used leaves the wheels dangling, you know the type. It was almost impossible to remove the first rear sphere (not under pressure) even after giving some severe whacks with a heavy hammer. We ended up welding an old half inch socket on it to get sufficient leverage whilst whacking it at the same time.
Is there an easier way?
Incidentally I changed all 6 for 'comfort' spheres, what a difference, the car now glides along like my old XM's and CX used to, well almost as good anyway but far superior to Cit's original spheres. :lol:
C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
C6 2.7 Twin turbo HDI Lignage
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It is a common mis-understanding that the spheres seizes in their threads.
That is not correct as the thread in no way is leak proof - and completely exposed to the internal wet hydraulic side under pressure.

Its the rubber seal that dries out over time and sort of vulcanises on to the mating dry surfaces. This you need to 'crack'.
This is best done with highest possible pressure in the system, which means the height set to maximum. In this situation the system pressure applies a helping force on the sphere while you crack it.
The design of the mating seal surfaces and the seal means the seal will - by the pressure from inside - swell and thus still hold tight the first mm's unwinding the sphere.

Once the sphere is cracked (max 1/8 turn) you can release the system pressure and remove the sphere.

Next time try look at the ridge where the seal is while trying to undo the sphere. Its quite possible to recognice the small 10's of a mm the sphere is moving back and forth when you work on it. Its the rubber seal that allows the minute movement.

RE : comfort spheres. I perfectly know what you mean. Its a matter of driving experience - and sort of the drivers age :wink:
While young you long for good speed and stable fast cornering. When you grow up and get your first damages - and days off duty because of overloaded back/spine - you really appreciate a calm and soft ride :D

And yes - I'm in my third week off duty now because of my back giving problems :roll:
In that state you dont discuss performance - you only go for the comfort - I promise :x
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i partly agree with Anders as it is very very rare for spheres to become siezed,they can be very tight though,also its not realy a good idea to weld onto a sphere as they do contain presurised nitrogen,i have been working on and around citroens for many years and never resorted to hitting spheres with a knockomiter(hammer),also it is best to smear cleran LHM or in the case of the C5 what ever the type of susp/fluid they use on the matting surface of the sphere seal before refitting spheres
regards malcolm
C5IAM
My Cars:

Post by C5IAM »

Thanks for the information Anders and Citronut, I now inderstand the theoretical side of removing the spheres better than I did and can see the benefit of initially releasing them under pressure. Will have to get my mate to have a proper 4 post lift as I have now got past crawling under the car and struggling. :)
With regard to the 'comfort' spheres, although not connected, when I bought the car I wanted a sunroof, in order to have that and the car at a very special price I had to have leather seats. Unfortunately you sit on these rather than in them and they are much firmer than cloth - never again. :cry:
C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
Kursaal Flyer
My Cars:

Post by Kursaal Flyer »

Hi C5IAM,

how much do the 'comfort' spheres affect the handling of the car and roughly how much do they cost?
I like the sharp cornering but I'm just so fed up with jolting around in my C5 HDi despite replacing the rear spheres. It just feel as though there is no independant suspension at the rear, hit a bump and both sides feel it. Large potholes and speed bumps are not too bad, but every small imperfection in the road is felt through the seat of the pants. The bounce test says the spheres are o.k., but not good enough for me!
Your findings would be most appreciated.

Regards
John J.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Kursaal Flyer wrote:Hi C5IAM,

how much do the 'comfort' spheres affect the handling of the car and roughly how much do they cost?
I like the sharp cornering but I'm just so fed up with jolting around in my C5 HDi despite replacing the rear spheres. It just feel as though there is no independant suspension at the rear, hit a bump and both sides feel it. Large potholes and speed bumps are not too bad, but every small imperfection in the road is felt through the seat of the pants. The bounce test says the spheres are o.k., but not good enough for me!
Your findings would be most appreciated.

Regards
John J.

i have no experiance of the C5 yet but a XANTIA with hydractive suspension,GSF say when replacing front or rear suspension spheres to replace the centre sphere at the same end as well
regards malcolm
Kursaal Flyer
My Cars:

Post by Kursaal Flyer »

Good point Malcolm,
it did cross my mind today that this perhaps should be the next thing to do. Presumably this is what they call the 'regulator' sphere. To my shame I have to admit that after a myriad of challenging and not so challenging sphere changes on my BX's I've not actually been underneath my C5 but had them changed for me. I forgot there may be more than two at each end :oops:
But in a way other than the harshness, that shows how comfortable I am with this car... I just get in it and go. Quite something for a Cit, less involving but cleaner fingernails :)
Regards
John J.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

nop its not the regulater sphere,on a XANT any way,i have lost track on what goes on under the newer hydraulic citroens,but some of the diferant flavour XANTS do have i belive anti sink and hydactive shperes as well as the usual 5 normal citroens used to have
regards malcolm
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

What we call the "hydractive sphere" Citroen usually refer to in their documentation and spare listings as a "firmness regulator sphere" or sometimes cut short to "regulator sphere" or "suspension regulator sphere" depending on the translation. Confusing I know!

When I tried to order a "hydractive centre sphere" from a local supplier over the phone a while back I just got the phone equivalent of a blank stare, and had to go in and see them and look at their parts listing myself, and found it called it a "firmness regulator sphere" and even to me the information the service agent had at their disposal was a bit confusing! (No wonder they were confused, they don't see many Xantias - as far as I know there are probably only a couple of Hydractive 2 Xantias in my area, counting mine :shock: )

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
AtitudeJim
My Cars:

Post by AtitudeJim »

can you guys tell me what spheres are avaiable for the C5hdi estate?
what prices are usually charged to change all the 4 spheres, and how much the spheres cost , just to have an idea. cheers
(04) Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 110hp (uk)
(90) Pug 205 1.8D (uk)
(92) Vw Polo G40 (pt)
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

sorry, another couple of questions:
Any further ideas on how long (as a rough guide ) should c5 spheres last for? Can they be changed using the Pleides xantia/bx/etc (round not spherical sphere) tool?
110k and 5 yrs so far.
Thanks.

Non spherical spheres? ...er you know what I mean :oops:
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

AtitudeJim wrote:can you guys tell me what spheres are avaiable for the C5hdi estate?
what prices are usually charged to change all the 4 spheres, and how much the spheres cost , just to have an idea. cheers
GSF do C5 spheres for £42.89 each inc VAT
Make a sphere removal tool and change them yourself, it doesn't take long and will cost you about £10 on top of the spheres.
Or buy one for £17.49

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-C5-SPHERE ... dZViewItem
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
C5IAM
My Cars:

Post by C5IAM »

Hi Kursaal Flyer, I've had the 'comfort spheres' on for a good 1000 miles now. The ride is very much better, the rear seems softer than the front and there is a little roll on corners, but overall they are certainly worth the money. The cost was about £36 per sphere and for the 6 it came to about £260 with vat. Changing them was a bit of a pig though! They aven't cured the rear being a bit 'skittish' when you touch a drain or bump with one wheel but it has lessened the effect. Go for it :lol: 'Comfort' spheres are also available for the estate.
C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
Jeff 75
New User

Re: Changing Spheres on C5

Post by Jeff 75 »

[-X It seems to me that the Steel sphere up against the a Aluminium cylinder causes a chemical reaction when exposed to water which causes crystals to form on the mated surfaces and increases the tightness of the joint. I have found that spraying the joint with wheel cleaner - phosphoric acid - a mild acid will dissolve these crystals and significantly loosen the joint making it quite easy to unscrew.