2001 Xantia with Issues (Aircon/Blowers and others)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnkendall

2001 Xantia with Issues (Aircon/Blowers and others)

Post by johnkendall »

Hi All,

My car seems to have decided that it's had enough of life.

THe problems I've got:

Aircon/Blowers don't work. The light on the Aircon button doesn't come on, the blowers don't blow and the backlight on the blower controls isn't on.

The drivers side electric window decided to try and keep winding up the window after it got to the top and so has broken something inside.

I can't get all of the headlights to come on at once. I've got 2 full beams, 1 dipped beam, 1 sidelight and no front fog lights working

It's a 2001 Xantia Estate.

Has anyone got any suggestions of what to try for any or all of my problems?

Thanks

John
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Best advice :
Take one problem at a time. Dont go hunting/dismantling for all problems in one go.

1) aircon blowers - the missing light on the active switch indicates that power is not coming out the switch circuit. Try find the fuse and check it.

2) the winder motors have build-in thermal fuses. These will reset after some time. If the motor persist in winding against the stop, then its most likely a stuck/burnt contact set in the control switch - and the circuit fuse may well have blown then. Could be the button itself sticking on because of dirt.
It makes a nasty sound when working against the stop. Often the drive sprocket on the motor axle slips against the winder sprocket.

3) common problem with the lights. Take one defunct light at a time and pursue any missing earth or +12V power backwards in the wiring. You may find bad contact in both lines. You may find burnt fuses looking OK. You may even find wrong rated fuses from a previous repair.

Be methodical with patience. Thats your best tools.
Note that any garage will have to use the same tools - and bill the labour time. No smart spraycan tools available for this job :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
johnkendall

Post by johnkendall »

AndersDK wrote:Best advice :

1) aircon blowers - the missing light on the active switch indicates that power is not coming out the switch circuit. Try find the fuse and check it.
Any ideas which fuse it is? I've checked all the fuses that the manual suggest have anything to do with aircon/heaters and they are all ok.
2) the winder motors have build-in thermal fuses. These will reset after some time. If the motor persist in winding against the stop, then its most likely a stuck/burnt contact set in the control switch - and the circuit fuse may well have blown then. Could be the button itself sticking on because of dirt.
It makes a nasty sound when working against the stop. Often the drive sprocket on the motor axle slips against the winder sprocket.
This one I've solved today. The entire mechanism has fallen apart, so I need to try and strip it down and repair it, or replace the whole thing
3) common problem with the lights. Take one defunct light at a time and pursue any missing earth or +12V power backwards in the wiring. You may find bad contact in both lines. You may find burnt fuses looking OK. You may even find wrong rated fuses from a previous repair.

Be methodical with patience. Thats your best tools.
Note that any garage will have to use the same tools - and bill the labour time. No smart spraycan tools available for this job :roll:
Thanks for the tips. More fun tomorrow trying to get it working.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If you dont have the schematics, they can be downloaded from here :
http://citroeny.cz/servis/data/xantia/X ... hemata.pdf

English language, boh Mk1 (->'98 ) & Mk2 ('98->) models covered.

More help here :
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image