Xantia 1.9TD Clutch problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soupy_sam
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD Clutch problems

Post by soupy_sam »

The plastic clip on the end or the clutch pedal broke so I bought a new one and fitted it ( what a nasty job it was as well) Then after a few miles the cable popped out of the new clip. I stripped it and reconnected it again and yes after a few miles it popped out again.

Any ideas what is the cause, would a new cable sort the problem out or could it be an indication that the clutch needs renewing?????
Sam de Lessups from Coventry West Midlands England
Xantia 1.9 TD 1995 185000 this old girl went to sleep.

Picasso Exclusive 1.6 HDi 2005 29500
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Sam,

Did the clutch feel very heavy? Often it's not the clip itself but something (cable or clutch itself) straining it beyond what it can handle.

Try a new cable first as it's cheap and (relativly) easy but prepare yourself for a clutch job :evil: :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

Is it much of a job to change a clutch and is Haynes worth using or is there other instructions I can get?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The TD is not too bad actually. The BoL is useful as a guide. It is perhaps one of the better bits of it.

Basically, remove battery, starter motor.

Drain gearbox oil, disconnect the lower swivel joints on the front suspension, withdraw driveshafts from gearbox remembering the LH one has an intermediate bearing held in with two "hockey stick" bolts.
Disconnect clutch cable, reversing light switch and TDC/Tacho sensor and gearchange linkages, support engine and gearbox independantly, remove the gearbox mounting, remove bellhousing bolts and you're nearly there.

Best to support gearbox on an engine crane.

That is the very basic procedure. Give yourself at least a day and get some assistance.

I'm sure more posts will soon follow to "flesh out" these bones and a search is useful. There have been a number of posts in the past containg much useful information.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Certainly do the search on earlier postings.
There is a trick on how to engage the release bearing on the clutch arm, as this is working from inside out on a TD ('pull' type).
Bet this is the pitfall area if you have not been there before.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

Problem solved if in doubt do the lot. So have put in new clutch kit, new cable and a new clip.

That should sort it!

I can now do a clutch clip in under 10 minutes.

Thanks for everyones advise