xsara central locking. help please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

a4gom
My Cars:

xsara central locking. help please

Post by a4gom »

Quick history, bought car over a year ago, shortly after the drivers side stopped unlocking on blip, needed key, had a look but couldn't find a dodgy connection or wire. Anyway this problem was intermittent for a while, no particular pattern but it did seem to work better when really cold. The problem became constant 8 months ago approx but I never did anyhting about it as the key locked and unlocked all doors and the blip locked all doors and unlocked all but drivers door so lthough anoying wasn't much of a problem. This week the car has started locking and unlocking it self, I check doors and all are shut but it still happens. When I use the blip to lock it goes through the motions but unlocks again.
I've had a look and can't find any probs but there obviously is something wrong somewhere.
History makes me think the drivers door but how do I check to see if the acctuator is getting the signal from the blip to unlock? Anyone know which colour wire it is I presume it send a +ve signal as there appears to be some earths present in the connector?

The wife has just told me that she thought she felt a drip on her feet the other night so perhaps this is related as all the electrics seem to be above the drivers feet.
Any help or advise gratefully recieved. :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds as though the drivers door lock could be sticking. Give everything a good squirt of WD40 and see if that improves it.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I had the same on my ZX. Finally had the driver's door motor replaced last week, so for the first time in the 3 years I've had it, the CL now works from the plip!

It's possible that the mechanism could just be stiff though, so give that a lube first as suggested above.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

Have given everything a good spray with wd40, the central locking does seem to be behaving a bit better as no one has heard it operating itself over the weekend but we are back to the original point where the remote doesn't unlock the drivers door.

I don't know which wire sends the signal to the lock to check it so not sure if its the motor or the wiring but the motor does everything else.
If I use the key in the drivers door it locks and unlocks everything else if I use the remote it unlocks all but the drivers door so the motor must not be recieving the signal to unlock from the main unit or there is something broken within the motor on this part of the circuit.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm not familiar with the Xsara Central Locking but if it is anything like the Peugeot system then the motor is just that, a motor operating a rack and pinion. The Central Locking ECU will send it 12V to send it one way and reverse the polarity of the voltage sent to send it the other way.

Knowing these motors, they're not the best constructed devices and do die so I'd suspect the motor itself if the signals appear to be getting to it. Usually the clutch goes though and they just sit there whirring.

The Xsara is closely related to the 306 and I understand they are renowned for having door loom problems. You could have a damaged wire that looks OK but is broken within.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

a4gom wrote:If I use the key in the drivers door it locks and unlocks everything else if I use the remote it unlocks all but the drivers door so the motor must not be recieving the signal to unlock from the main unit or there is something broken within the motor on this part of the circuit.
More likely to be the motor, given that the unit is sending out the lock / unlock signals.

What year and model is your Xsara? The motors are probably common on the 306, ZX and early Xsara.

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

1998 on a R reg, 1.9TD 5 door
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

From PR-Net, the Xsara looks like a whole new system... Possibly with the motor integrated into the door lock mechanism? Probably not as straightforward to replace. You may be able to get one from a breaker. Try www.1stchoice.co.uk , or any of the other similar websites.

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

got a replacement lock / motor unit and the problem is the same
:cry:
this would indicate a broken wire or something wrong in the controlling box of tricks.
i can't remember exactly but i think there's 7 wires to the lock in the drivers door. its hard to test whats what as the plug is sealed and the locking don't work if its not connected to the motor.

any ideas

i suppose i really need wiring diagram, anyone?