ZX replacement suspension bushes. Advice please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave1

ZX replacement suspension bushes. Advice please

Post by Dave1 »

I have attempted to search the forums but on dial upright now taking a long time.

I need to replace the forward front bushes on the Volcane.

Powerflex do not list them but offer some to fit a 306.

I have just contacted Skip brown who can supply rubber ones at £25 + vat each (x4!!). Not keen on that.

I just need to know if the 306 powerflex ones will suffice, preferably from someone who knows for sure or has even fitted them.

Any other suggestions welcome of course, otherwise it will be a set of cheapo ones.

Thanks

Dave
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I assume you are talking about the front wishbone front bushes? They are much cheaper than £25 each from GSF. However, if the fronts are shot, then the rear P-bush will be long gone I would think. A whole new arm (including ball joint) is probably <£30 from the factors, and saves a whole lot of ball ache!

I've not done it, but am sure the powerflex 306 ones will fit - however, the front only pivots, so powerflex is not going to add much to proceedings really.
Richard W
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Hi Richard,

I know exaclty what you mean about the p bushes. I do have a set of arms as a result of a previous swap. They happen to have new p bushes on them. I also have have one new ball joint so would only need to buy one more. I did not say this in my orignal to keep it a concise as possible.

This is the reason I am considering putting the better bushes in the forward part of the arm. However, I fully take on board your point that front ones may have little effect.

I suppose I am just trying to do what may be best as the car is in very good condition and I am with spendng a little extra on it in respect of the bushes alone. (Not £100+ though)

If the pug ones fit both forward and rear bushes then depending on the cost maybe I should do the lot so they balance out. This will be dearer of course.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

I recently replaced the wishbones on my ZX, cost £18.00 each, plus VAT, including all new bushes and lower ball joints. Apparently the part is common with Pug 309.
Changed in about hour and a half. I could not see the point in changing just the bushes, especially as these pattern parts were as good as the originals. All that effort and skinned knuckles.
They weren't from GSF as they seemed somewhat vague as to what a lower wishbone was and then came back with a silly price.

Handyman, IKBA
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

handyman wrote:I recently replaced the wishbones on my ZX, cost £18.00 each, plus VAT, including all new bushes and lower ball joints. Apparently the part is common with Pug 309.
Changed in about hour and a half. I could not see the point in changing just the bushes, especially as these pattern parts were as good as the originals. All that effort and skinned knuckles.
They weren't from GSF as they seemed somewhat vague as to what a lower wishbone was and then came back with a silly price.

Handyman, IKBA

£18+Vat, That is cheap. I know you say the pattern ones are as good as the originals but I am finding more and more (and so are others) that some pattern parts do not last anywhere near as long as the originals. Often cheap parts mean cheaply made. I have replaced ball joints with pattern parts for example and they were worn/split after one year.

I am in this postion now. Two arms with new p bushes fitted. Front bushes removed from both ready for powerflex or whatever I decide. (No skinned knuckels yet :o ) The bushes at GSF etc will cost about £14, Citroen do not even supply them. Powerflex are about £26. Seems a pretty straight decision now and I am pretty sure powerflex will fit.

Anyway, not to dismiss what you suggest, where are these available at £18 plus Vat? I may look into it, GSF say £42 +vat before any discount and ball joint is extra!.

Thanks

Dave