99 1.9TD SX or 98 2.1TD Desire 2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

99 1.9TD SX or 98 2.1TD Desire 2

Post by Xaccers »

Given the death of my Xantia recently, parents have offered to loan me £1500 to buy a new car (via credit card).

So far, checking autotrader I've spotted a 1.9TD SX and a 2.1TD Desire 2.
The 2.1 is tempting, especially as the brief says it's just had it's cambelt replaced.

I've only had 1.9's before, so what could I expect from the 2.1?
How much more power?
Better or worse economy?
Can it run on SVO?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac,

Before you dive into another Xantia, really assess the condition of your dead one. Apart from the engine being sick, what is the overall condition of it? Would it be better to invest in a replacement, known good engine to sort yours rather than dive into another?

In my experience, Xantias never come on the market in perfect condition. You can bet that at the very least they'll need new spheres all round, cambelt, brakes and a host of other things. If you buy a Hydractive model it is a racing cert that one or both HA electrovalves will be inoperatve.

Mind you, £1500 will buy a nice, late Xantia, even an HDi maybe and you'll still have enough to do all of the above work to bring it to a good standard.

As for the 2.1 TD. I've not experienced one directly but word has it that it is the best TD PSA have ever made. A Pal had a 406 with the 2.1 and he sold it three years ago. He still misses it, particularly when towing. The only downside is that engine bay space is a bit tight.

You'll love a late high-spec Xantia though. The Auto A/C is brilliant, rain sensitive wipers really quite useful and if you have a pre-facelift now, the headlamps will come as a revelation.

But as I say, think carefully and look carefully. With Xantias you can easily jump out of the frying pan into the fire. My Activa looked, on first inspection, really good but it soon revealed the full extent of the horrors lurking within.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

citrojim wrote:Xac,

Before you dive into another Xantia, really assess the condition of your dead one. Apart from the engine being sick, what is the overall condition of it? Would it be better to invest in a replacement, known good engine to sort yours rather than dive into another?

In my experience, Xantias never come on the market in perfect condition. You can bet that at the very least they'll need new spheres all round, cambelt, brakes and a host of other things. If you buy a Hydractive model it is a racing cert that one or both HA electrovalves will be inoperatve.

Mind you, £1500 will buy a nice, late Xantia, even an HDi maybe and you'll still have enough to do all of the above work to bring it to a good standard.

As for the 2.1 TD. I've not experienced one directly but word has it that it is the best TD PSA have ever made. A Pal had a 406 with the 2.1 and he sold it three years ago. He still misses it, particularly when towing. The only downside is that engine bay space is a bit tight.

You'll love a late high-spec Xantia though. The Auto A/C is brilliant, rain sensitive wipers really quite useful and if you have a pre-facelift now, the headlamps will come as a revelation.

But as I say, think carefully and look carefully. With Xantias you can easily jump out of the frying pan into the fire. My Activa looked, on first inspection, really good but it soon revealed the full extent of the horrors lurking within.

Can vouch for that the Xantia I have just got rid of was a nightmare to get sorted.
The SX trim is fantastic, there are some 2.1 around although I've noticed that good Xantias are getting hard to see now. Perhaps an Exclusive?
The HDI niggles scared me too much and I've now got a 1.9!!!
Take your time and don't rush into buying some rubbish.

Can it run on SVO?

Would not try it to be honest as it's a lucas pump I think. Peter N do you know?

Good luck...
Last edited by howiedean on 06 Mar 2007, 22:16, edited 2 times in total.
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have run 2.1td's in XMs for over 10 years and I to would say that they are the best ever version of the XUD. They have quite a bit more power and are quieter and more economical than the 1.9. The only downside is that they are more difficult to work on, took me about 20 hours and a lot of grazed knuckles to change the head gasket on mine a couple of years ago, but since then it has covered over 30k with no problems. The gaskets usually go at about 150k or with poor maintenance 100k, but once replaced they should go on for another 150k. My previous had done 292k when I sold it and was still going. 50 mpg on a run, is easily achievable in the XM (manual) but of course it depends how you drive.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Much as I'd love to spend a couple of hundred quid and the time replacing the head on my Xantia, I don't have the money spare to do that until the end of the month.
Folks are offering £1500 for a replacement car, not a repair of my old one.

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

The 2.1td can ONLY run on SVO/WVO once the pump is warm and with warmed veg oil so youd need a twin tank setup so youd still use some diesel.

Id personally go for another 1.9td that can run on svo and then you dont have to worry.

Though im a stickler id possibly get your current one fixed as its a more sensible financial option then and more logical.

There is one way to make a 2.td run SVo without all the gubbins but it needs the pump to come off and be re-worked. someone called HCII offered me the service on teh veggie forum but i never took it up as its about £400 plus doing the cambelt work and then retiming it...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Going to view the 2.1 tonight.
My milage has dropped since moving closer to work, so SVO isn't much of an issue.

Depending on if I have any spare cash at the end of the month, I might see about repairing the 1.9 as well and see what I can get for it.

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'm now the proud owner of a 2.1TD
It drives lovely, very smooth.

Needs accumulator and anti-sink replacing.
Looks like someone used a scouring pad to clean the windscreen on the inside of the driver's side, but its not too distracting, anyone know of any polish etc that can tackle minor scratches on a windscreen?
One of the front fog light bulbs has blown, and I'll swap the radio over from my 1.9 as the display on this one is missing a few charactors.

Need to check the fuel filter and airfilter as it doesn't seem to pull as well as my 1.9 over 2500rpm (would it have an ECU that's gotten used to being driven by a little old man?)

Got a lucas pump :(

PS Anyone know where the removable front towing eye is kept in the engine bay?

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Not a clue about the towing eye as ours is built in at the front :)

With regard to the window its usually easier to get a new one fitted as autoglym window polish doesnt remove scratches from my own trials :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Well done on buying a 2.1 td. Just out of interest, see how the fuel consumption compares.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Peter.N. wrote:Well done on buying a 2.1 td. Just out of interest, see how the fuel consumption compares.
Well on my 1.9 I used to get just over 80 miles by the first line on the guage, at the moment I'm at the same spot after 120 miles and that was tearing it up the dual carriageways getting home last night.
Very impressed.

DIY sphere tool
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Xac wrote:Got a lucas pump :(
All 2.1 Xantia's have the terrible Lucas EPIC. You try to buy a second hand one and you will know how unreliable they are.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

if it's not pulling as well as your 1.9td check the EGR valve these are known to stick open, the one i bought had this problem if it's stuck they normaly blow a lot of black smoke out on acceleration :)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:PS Anyone know where the removable front towing eye is kept in the engine bay?
Its normally on the underside of the bonnet.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I have a pump, turbo, injectors, clutch, and a set of pistons all in super nick, bar the clutch and pistons which are brand new and still packaged, and the injectors have been cleaned and air sealed in a bag with the pump in some diesel as well, and the turbo oiled a little too :)