Removing a turbo from a 406 1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caveman_si
My Cars:

Removing a turbo from a 406 1.9td

Post by caveman_si »

HI

Any one know if its possible to remove the turbo with the engine in situ with out dropping the sub frame?? As Im not sure i'll fit under the car to work on it dropping the subframe 300mm as the Haines says I have to just using jack and axel stands (im not the smallest of people).
Also working through the haines i dont get what i have to do in this step
: Make alignment marks between the intermediate shaft joint and the steering gear pinion then slacken and remove the clamp bolt and nut.
Does it want me to split the steering column? And how heavy is the subframe incase I have to manhandle it ?
The rest of the haines guide makes sense even if its not as easy as the hanies makes out.

Cheers Si
406 lx 1.9td estate
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If you drop the subframe - you MUST disassemble the steering axle from the rack 8)
- as the rack is fixed to the subframe !

All it says really is to make a ref mark such you clamp at the correct point again when re-assembling the clamp on the splines. Otherwise the steering wheel will be offset from the straight ahead driving position.

You are DEAD sure you want to remove the turbo ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

If you drop the subframe - you MUST disassemble the steering axle from the rack
- as the rack is fixed to the subframe !
Ahh that makes sense.
You are DEAD sure you want to remove the turbo ?

I wish I wasnt sure but as you can see the inlet side of the turbo is, to put it mildly, goosed! And without a new turbo all my car is good for is emptying the sump of oil and sticking it in the the intercooler as well making big clouds of smoke behind it.

Ive done all the other jobs that need to be done as a result of the turbo being broke. Including finding the right turbo (wasnt easy or cheap) I just have the turbo left to change and typically its a pain by not being straight forward and typically peugeot.
Changing the turbo on my own will be the hardest job i have done on a car on my own hence the questions. I want to get it right first time.
406 lx 1.9td estate
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ohhh that one :oops:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image