Cambelt change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SimonT
My Cars:

Cambelt change

Post by SimonT »

Hi all, I'm going to change my cambelt on my Xantia in the morning (first time I've ever done it) and something has just crossed my mind.
Now this may be me being stupid or panicking or both but can anyone tell me if the bolt that holds the crankshaft pulley is a normal or a reverse thread as I've heard it's a swine to get off and I don't want to be hanging off the end of it turning it the wrong way!!!!
Cheers.
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Normal right-hand thread Simon. Do it with the engine warm, it helps soften the threadlock on it. They can be very tight! Put car in fifth gear and have an assistant stand on the brakes whilst you use a breaker bar.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its a normal thread but it is very tight and sealed with locktite. You really need to be able to lock the engine, which you can either do with a proper flywheel locking tool, or if you take the flywheel bottom cover off, you can jam it with a screwdriver. There is of course the unconventional way, use a socket with a long bar resting on the ground and just blip the starter, but make sure you have it facing the right direction. I had one that was so tight that it made the clutch slip when I tried to undo it!
SimonT
My Cars:

Post by SimonT »

Cheers for that. I feel ready now! Just hope the bloody weather holds out.
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

.........and if you want to remove it the easy way, just drop a 3/4" drive socket with a long extension and a breaker bar or a breaker with another extension attached, immobilise the engine so it can't start (disconnect the fuel cut off solenoid?) have someone steady the end of the breaker bar a couple of inches off the floor and hit the starter. No matter how tight, you can lay odds the bolt will undo in about 2 seconds flat as soon an thegeared power of the starter begins to lean on the bar which by this stage is hard against the concrete floor.
Works on petrol engines with the spark plugs out, so no reason to think it won't do the same on an oil burner.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!