SORN questions.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

SORN questions.

Post by OwenP »

Quick question for everyone,

With my car looking like I won't have it up and running for its MOT, I may be in the position of having to SORN it, the tax runs out end of march and the test is due pretty much nowish, next fortnight. Is a driveway considered off road enough for the purposes of SORN?

How would I go about getting it back on the road, when it is running a MOT-able again?

Cheers
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes your drive is ok for the purposes of SORN,and you only need to declaire it SORN if and when the TAX runs out,so if you intend to get it fixed and MOTed by the time the TAX expires you do not need to SORN it,if your TAX dose run out and you dont declaire it SORN by the 14th day of the following month you will get an automated fine sent out to you,also when its SORN you can legaly drive it to a pre booked MOT as long as you still have insurance cover,when your ready to re TAX it just go to the post office or i belive you can go online and re TAX it
regards malcolm
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Cheers for the quick response,
I intend to get if fixed before the end of the month but things have a nasty habit of taking longer than anticipated.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

You can sorn it on the web as well.
Mike.
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

For we outside the UK, what (censored) is SORN?

I would usually think of some witty words to fit the acronym, but I'm tired after a day working on a Xantia. :?
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

I think it is something like "Statutory Off Road Notice"

Basically it means that the tax man won't prosecute you for not having any tax, even though your car is not on the road.

The computer system over here gives you 14 days after the end of your last road tax disk to either renew it or declare the car SORN or scrap or the like or you get an automatically generated fine notice.

At least I think that is how it all works.
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

Tough mongrels eh!? We can have a car unregistered for up to 3 months before they send you a reminder letter. Of course you are not allowed to drive it after registration has expired.

In that three month period you can get your safety check done etc. When you go to pay your rego it is however backdated to the date it was due for renewal, so if you leave a car unreg for three months you are in effect giving the govt three months rego fees for nothing.

However if you let the period go over three months it is more than likely you will have to have new rego plates issued and a more detailed safety and car ID inspection.

Our annual safety checks for cars older than three years is done in conjunction with your rego and personal accident injury insurance, so it is all in one annual lump.

Of course, everything I say above is for New South Wales. The other Aus states all vary a bit.
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

den169
My Cars:

sorn

Post by den169 »

Its another way they can steal money off the motorist to keep the country afloat.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

not only what i and others have said,but if you dont re/tax or SORN they can come onto your property and take your car to have it crushed,surely that legalised theft aint it
regards malcolm
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

They ask for an address where the vehicle is SORNed: when Iv'e done it Iv'e put 'rented garage- no postal address' -even if it's in the garden...I don't know if it annoys them or not, but it keeps me happy!

UFO- you would have to see our DVLA (driver and vehicle licensing agency) to believe it.......we hava a data protection act, which is law and supposed to restrict bodies that hold computerised information about us from giving that information out, yet it doesn't seem to apply to DVLA: they sell our names and addresses to parking regulators, clamping companies, or anybody who has a grudge against you- you can write to them about someone who's, for example, cut you up on a roundabout, you need to give a plausible excuse for needing the info and they'll send you back the name and address of the vehicle keeper, and all for about £2.50.....it makes my blood boil :evil:
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

Your DVLA is really screwed. I think if anyone in Aus complains about our local authorities in future they should be pointed at the UK.

They can legally take away an unregistered vehicle from YOUR PROPERTY? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

In Aus they can label and then remove an unregistered car from the street or public area but you normally get 7 to 28 days notice before the vehicle is removed, although a friend in Sydney lost a DS21 Hydraulique in less than 24hrs a few years ago. By the time he found it, its size was considerably less :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Best one to watch is a catch I'm sure others will suffer from in time. I
have many cars scattered about the place where nearly all but the one's
I'm actually using are most definitely OFF the road. A few off the road
have now been idle for a few years; I cannot bear to part with them but
for many reasons mostly dependent upon how my mood takes me :roll: ,
they're not being used or about to be be in the immediate future; the
SORN reminder pops along and I have the choice (even after years
and years) to tax the vehicle or further the SORN declaration period for
another year. Only I didn't receive one reminder...

How can I prove I never saw the reminder? Yes, thats' right I can't,
although when I do see one I ALWAYS reply sharpish! You guessed it
- after the 14 day period they assume I'm now actively using the vehicle
again because their computer's calendar says so, even after continual
back to back declarations, and I owe them a fixed penalty fine of £40
PLUS the tax I'm apparently evading for the period the car lapsed it's
SORN up to the present date - all adding up to around £70 or thereabouts.
This isn't the £80 that they bang you with when your current tax lapses
and you don't do anything, but then again they do pretty much whatever
their moods takes them!! :x

They'll try and tell you they don't want continual licensing for every car
whether it's on or OFF the road, like a TV licence fee - a kind of car
ownership tax whether you actually use it or not though there are
rumblings of a fine if you have a car that's not insured with a fine for
that evasion if it's not on SORN. Sound like a cunning and devious way
to exact more money by increasing the fine...

What gets me is the fact that because I actually register myself as the
keeper - that's my first big mistake! If I didn't they can't hammer me
whether I use the car or not like millions out there that don't bother
with insurance, MOT's or TAX either or the inevitable speeding tiket,
doesn't take much to be GATSO'd these days - you can almost get fined
when you're stationary now...

No, I'm seen by the BIG all seeing all knowing computer as the real villain
for not being neurotic about all my car's SORN's lapse dates!! I am now
though...

I'm all for confiscation of the vehicle at the roadside when a number
recognition unit pulls someone who isn't legal but believe there are 100's
of pitfalls with this gung-ho approach. Why should you and I assume the
position and be stuffed by HMG's Taxman just to see it squandered badly...

(censored), with the 6 cars I pay yearly car tax for, I expect roads worthy of
being taxed to the hilt to actually drive on! Then there's the road charge
that Tony wont drop even after 1.8+billion road users say they don't
trust/like the sound of...

(censored), level the playing field a bit - directly tax fuel and drop all the
other nefarious/insidious taxes - nobody can evade the tax at the pump...

Andrew
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

UFO wrote:Your DVLA is really screwed. I think if anyone in Aus complains about our local authorities in future they should be pointed at the UK.

They can legally take away an unregistered vehicle from YOUR PROPERTY? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Could you imagine this in Australia :lol: :lol: :lol: me standing in the front yard when they turn up "Yeah sure help yourself.... Let me get the video camera .... If you can get past the Rottie/Rhodesion ridgeback cross & cattle dog ... You deserve to take the cars ... In the mean time I'm gonna win "Stupidest home video show" with this footage :lol: :lol: :lol: Dogs can get from front to back fence in about 20seconds .... Do you reckon you can :lol: :lol: :lol:

Better still, I'll lock the dogs up, if you can get the cars with no brakes, steering or suspension down from the backyard (where there truck won't fit) without running over themselves or taking out the house I'd be quite surprised (of course you wouldn't tell them about the no brakes bit :D ).

Why do I have visions of Alan S sitting on his front verandah polishing a shotgun when they arrive [-o< =; :mrgreen:

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes but dont forget it is!!!!!! HE HE HE a democratic sociaty here in the Y UK,its probably easyer to live in USSR at least you would know were you stand
regards malcolm
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

There is a rather depressing tale on the Triumph Sports Six club forum of a chap having a spare chassis and transmission removed from his garden by council busybodies as an 'environmental hazzard' while he was away for a few weeks.

In the UK the legal motorist is very much a cash cow: and no amount of big dogs will stop them removing your cars in this country, they'd have the police dog handlers in, then if there's any sign of a gun, legally held or not, armed police would be on standby.........because in the UK the worst possible offence you can commit is speeding, closely followed by parking incorrectly, and the third big offence is not having your car taxed or sorned.....forget bashing old ladies over the head, that's a minor offence now.

Currently, the policy for shoplifting is just a police caution, whereas if you park your car in the wrong place it's a massively disproportionate fine, £80 or so, doubling if you don't pay it on time.....and in some parts of London now, it's a ticket, a clamp, and a lift'n'tow in short order, costing you £200 or so to sort. This is why we have an estimated 10 million or so untaxed,uninsured, and unregistered cars on the road now-it doesn't pay to be law abiding.

Just mug a pensioner: it'll cost you less!!