ML5 Gearbox Oil Type and Level Checking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

ML5 Gearbox Oil Type and Level Checking

Post by CitroJim »

My Activa has what I believe is an ML5 gearbox. The one with the hydraulic clutch and the gear linkage that seems to have been made from rubber bands and bungee cords :roll:

What oil does it take and how does one check/top up the oil?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Jim, the 'box is an MLT5 and the oil is a Hypoid EP80 type. Do not know what the new spec is but your motor factor will tell you. As for topping up, there is a level/filler plug on the back of the diff housing. You need either a pit, or ramps or level axle stands to top it up as you need to get under the car to check and top up. :shock: Pour into the hole, with the plug removed, until the oil starts to pour out. :o Can take quite a while, it is also recommended that the car has been driven for twenty minutes using all gears prior to checking, to ensure enough of the stuff has been flung around the box to lower the level.

Hope this helps, handyman, IKBA :roll:

PS why are you checking the gearbox level? Getting crunchy gears or whinning? Soggy clutch pedal? Might be the clutch bearing on the way out. What is the mileage?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Handyman, excellent stuff..

I've not long had the Activa and it has been a little neglected in the past and checking the level is just a routine check. The 'box seems a bit bulky at times and just very occasionally it quietly crunches on spirited down-changes into third. I put this down to the woolly cable operated linkage but you have given me a bit of food for thought now. It is 100% oil-tight, not a leak of any description anywhere on the car.

Clutch is absolutely fine. Light as a feather, so light in fact that when I get in either of the 205s I can hardly press the pedal down!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...