Cambelt & Stuff

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Cambelt & Stuff

Post by rossnunn »

Why can't I find a decent price on a cambelt kit for my 1.5D 106?

I've looked all the usual places & GSF seems to come out cheapest but you have to by each bit individually.
Consequently the bill is £72.20, that includes 1x Cambelt 1x Altinator Belt 1x Lower Tensioner & 1x Upper Tensioner.
Seems abit pricy when you consider you can buy a kit for the 1.4 petrol for around £40odd.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

How many 1.5D's are around in need for parts :?:
How many 1.4 pets :?:

:idea:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'd reckon as Anders says, you're a victim of supply and demand.
A few years ago, when I was in my trade, there was a machine that had two models; one was a single speed, the other a 2 speed. Most had the 2 speed version and a new motor sold for A$145.
One day I got a call to a single speed with a burnt out motor and was asked for a quote. I told the woman I didn't know the price of the single speed version but as the 2 speed was $145 I could imagine it would be cheaper.
When I ordered the new motor, the spare parts guy made the comment "Are you certain you want one?" which he then went on to tell me that a single speed motor was A$328 + tax Trade price!! :shock: The reason being that few machines were made with the single and those in the know just simply rewired the machine and used the high speed windings on the 2 speed model, which is what I chose to do and did that for years.
A couple of years later, however, I ordered a motor and was again asked if I wanted single or 2 speed. I knowledgely responded that I only ever used the 2 speed due to the big price variation, but was told they were now only A$99 retail. When asked how this came about, I was told it was due to the machine manufacturer having a warehouse full of overpriced single speed motors that nobody was buying.
So at times, prices can reflect demand, storage costs and slow turnover more than the actual cost to manufacture. :wink:

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

reblack68 wrote:Is this any good to you?

https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/t ... ordID=4225
Thats much more like it, thanks.

I hear what your saying about supply & demand, but compare it to most other engines in the Citroen/Peugeot range & it still seems to be over priced.
Its not like the 1.5D wasn't popular, infact behind the 1.9 series I'd have said it was the second best engine all round that they do.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have got a brand new 1.5 TUD5 engine not a re/con with cam belt unfitted and new oil filter you can buy if you cant find a cam belt kit,it is all genuine and still on the pallet which it came on,i dont wont much for it just about £800 squide thats all
regards malcolm
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

i bought my last belt'n'tensioner kit from Buypartsbuy- all good quality Conti stuff and they wanted less for the whole kit including carriage than GSF or Euro for the tensioners alone.

The reason I went there was that the other two didn't do it as a kit, so I'd have had to buy say a belt and tensioner pulley from one and the static pulley from the other.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

yes they do seem very cheap.
Shame they don't do more really as I'm after some other bits, but hey ho at the prices they do do stuff at I'm not conplaining :lol:
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

You could probably add stuff that's not shown on the website to your order by phone.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

Thanks BXBodger. Ringing buypartsBy, you have just saved me over £10 on a rear silencer for my AX! GSF, Euro and AllParts were all around the same price so for this to be so much cheaper is really good.

The guy was really friendly on the phone - they have more options talking to them than on their website, esp. if you are prepared to wait a few days.

I'm well chuffed!
1996 Citroen AX Debut and 2001 Citroen Saxo.

I love Citroens!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Excellent- that's what these forums are for! I stumbled across them by fluke doing a web search for the bits I needed and was impressed that they did the tensioner pulley, the jockey pulley, and the belt all in one kit, and I was surprised the usual suspects (GSF,ECP) didn't also do them all together as a package- it's annoying, like BX clutch cables not coming with the little link rod that will fall on the road and be lost forever if the cable breaks in service......