Crikey its quiet here!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

matt
My Cars:

Crikey its quiet here!

Post by matt »

Does this mean that all our pugs are running fine?

Its over a week since the last post,come on lads think of somthing to fix :D
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

i know i thought that there was something wrong with the site?? :?
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Well mine ain't fixed but I've had no time to work on it so no news from me.

I know what you mean though, I though everyone was on holiday with kids ('cause of half term) or something.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Crikey its quiet here!

Post by CitroJim »

matt wrote:Does this mean that all our pugs are running fine?

Its over a week since the last post,come on lads think of somthing to fix :D
Well yes, but my 205GTi has just let me know it is leaking badly from one of its rear quarterlights and soaking the carpet. I've looked at the rubber and it looks perfect but still it leaks..

Apart from that, both Pugs in my fleet have been paragons of reliability. So have the Cits for that matter. Must be something do do with some astronomical alignment or something...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

citrojim wrote:
Well yes, but my 205GTi has just let me know it is leaking badly from one of its rear quarterlights and soaking the carpet. I've looked at the rubber and it looks perfect but still it leaks..

Apart from that, both Pugs in my fleet have been paragons of reliability. So have the Cits for that matter. Must be something do do with some astronomical alignment or something...
On the 205 try sealing the rubber to the bodywork with silicone as water gets behind the seal if i remember correctly.

I spoke too soon,the 405 has locked me out! Back door wont open and had i right job getting the door card off whilst the door is shut :shock:

Also,why is it that every motoring mag or journalist and top gear say that French cars are the most unreliable when,in all honesty the 405 just will not die?What do they class as unreliable?Back doors not opening :oops:
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

matt wrote:

On the 205 try sealing the rubber to the bodywork with silicone as water gets behind the seal if i remember correctly.
Thanks Matt, job done this evening. Just need some rain to test now. Carpet was wet but the underfelt only had a tiny patch of damp so a lucky escape! It was only a couple of months ago I had the whole interior out after the winscreen seal let go and flooded the thing. :twisted:

I just need some rain now to test it. :D
matt wrote: Also,why is it that every motoring mag or journalist and top gear say that French cars are the most unreliable when,in all honesty the 405 just will not die?What do they class as unreliable?Back doors not opening :oops:
Because they no longer have Rover as a whipping boy :wink:

Seriously, both Cits and Pugs are tough and long lasting when diligently maintained and I'll wager all the so-called faults making them unreliable were minor and insignificant. SWMBO runs a C3 for her Driving School and it's as reliable as the day is long mechanically but the interior and switchgear is a bit flimsy and I'm always putting it back together after lessons. No doubt it's this that makes them so "unrelaible" in these spurious polls. They're as cheap as chips too so it is to be reasonably expected that in some areas the quality will be a bit iffy.

I'd like to see these reports backed up with what actually went wrong and the cost to fix. Then, I believe, we'd see a different picture.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

To some extent journalists say what they think people want to hear.
In all fairness, Citroen did go through a bad patch with cars like the Visa, which was made of such thin sheet, that it only had to go out in the rain once to rust right through :lol:
On the later cars, with stupid multiplex wiring, both Pug and Cit have had a fair number of problems.
Then you have the XUD engines "famous" for their head gasket problems, and the exploding flywheel on the HDIs. Suddenly, an occasional problem is taken and exaggerated out of all proportion.
However I have always preferred the devil you know.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

The unreliability myth has been developed over the years often by too many repairers who wouldn't have been able to exist in my days as a tradesman. We had to troubleshoot and fix things, not just keep throwing parts at the job willy nilly until the customer runs out of cash and patience and flogs it off to someone else.
I managed a Jap car franchise for a few years and later after a break from the Industry, was manager for a French car place.
Japs, are fanatical about the appearance of the car and the way it sounds and feels when it's delivered. To them, the customer is almost god and must be looked after at all cost. If there's a problem, it is rectified as soon as possible and the customer convinced that they were very unlucky even though there might be another 20 cars in the workshop all getting the same job done on them.
In contrast, the French car place I worked at considered customers a kind of pest that interfered with the orderly running of a business, presentation was about 50% of the Japs standard, problems were constantly denied with the emphasis on the way the customer was handling the car along with the attitude that "they all do that" try for as long as possible to avoid doing the job and use the "parts have to come from France" story that always gets them screaming, screw the customer around until he's bleated all about it all over town, been to the media etc so this one off problem is then seen as an endemic one and have the attirude that rather than look after the customer at all cost, why look after them at all? After all, they have already spent their money and they won't be back for a second helping.
The other side of the coin of course is that whilst the Jap car behaves for its first owner, come the second and susequent ones as the miles accrue and suddenly everything starts to fall apart at once. We over here, buy our French cars at the mileage most people are bailing out of their Japanese ones and well serviced by the home mechanic or a decent pro and you have a car that is almost indestructable. With all due respects to JC on Top Gear, I get the impression that he would have to use the AA to change a tyre and even a flat tyre could come under his impressions of reliability.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

I think you have summed it up pretty well Alan.

I needed a CV joint boot for a 306 TD recently. Went to ARE (now Euro Car Parts), having looked it up on their website, checked the 6 different ones they were offering for this car :o
When I went to the local branch, I got the spanish inquisition, telling me that unless I can quote the VIN number, and Reg no, they would not be able to help as it was a French car, and parts are so unreliable.
I gave them their own part number for the boot, which they had to order. Went back next day, yes it had come in, so I looked at the box, right number on the lable, looked inside, and the part bore no resemblance to that described. Don't know what vehicle it was for, but it was half the size of the one I needed.
They ordered another one, and this time I took the drive shaft in to show the size of the boot. Sure enough the box labelling was right but the boot was wrong. Eventually they had to accept that they had got it wrong.
Not surprising they tell everyone that you can't get parts for French cars when they can't be bothered to put the correct lables on the boxes.
Those parts just went back into stock of course, waiting for the next poor customer.
Went to NEAT Autos of West Drayton, and got the right part immediately, and at 2/3 the cost.
Not as if the 306 TD is unusual is it? And AFAIK they have fitted the same CV boots on every one.