2.0Hdi Xantia, ECU/electrical problems.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tony589
My Cars:

2.0Hdi Xantia, ECU/electrical problems.

Post by Tony589 »

Hello,
My 2001 Xantia Hdi wont start.
When the ignition is turned on the fuel pump doesn't run, the MIL light doesnt come on, the ABS light glows dimly???? and my ELM327 wont connect to the ECU.
The dual relay can be heard clicking intermittently, although quietly as though not getting the required current.
The car was stood a week while I sourced a replacement ECU, when I fit this everything was normal, of course it wouldn't start, but the fuel pump ran and the MIL and ABS lights were OK.
I swapped back to the original ECU and the car fired up and ran fine all day. That evening the fault returned and was the same with both ECU's.
I have tested the dual relay and both switch correctly.
With the fault present I am getting 12V to the dual relay on pins 3,11,15 and 8. There is a good 12V to pin 69 of the ECU and continuity through the EFS is good.
I am going to check the ECU earths at pins 33,49,51 and 53 and might wire LED's to let me see when the ECU pins 86 and 87 are low to switch the dual relays.
Any advice greatly appreciated, Thanks,

Tony.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Tony -

Check that you have not disturbed a +12V live distribution point out there near the battery. It really sounds like you are loosing the +12V live somewhere on the run to the ECU/instrument cluster.

I'd say you should even try another (proven !) good battery to rule out a battery problem.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Tony589
My Cars:

Post by Tony589 »

Well diagnosed!!
I have just found the fault before getting your reply. I went to check fuse 4 which feeds the contacts of the dual relay, and immediately saw my problem. The main wiring from the battery has burned itself out of the positive terminal clamp, making a right mess of the wiring to the starter and fuses etc.
I now need to locate a replacement for this part of the wiring, part number 96-231-811-80.
I'll give citroen a try, but I think I might be better off at a scrappers.

Thanks,

Tony.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The main wiring from the battery has burned itself out of the positive terminal clamp, making a right mess of the wiring to the starter and fuses etc.
I can't quite envisage what you mean, but it sounds as though there's been a heavy short somewhere. I'd suggest checking for the reason before replacing the wiring, or the same thing may happen again, or worse still, you might have a fire on your hands :(
Tony589
My Cars:

Post by Tony589 »

Hi,
It looks like the joint where the cables are fixed into the battery clamp has been loose. The lead has melted from around the cables and the first 5" of the wires has its insulation burned off and the strands of copper have clearly been getting very hot as they have turned green and orange.
I dont think its caused by a short as the damage is confined to the ends of all the cables, where as a short would fry just the wire shorted and along its full length between the battery and the short, rather than just the end.
I'll try get some pictures of the damage to explain it better.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/5054003

My local scrappers dont have the right cables in, except one which had the starter cable cut!

I've rung Dixons and they can get me the cable I need for tomorrow morning, Its about 37 quid, but at least it should fit straight in and hopefully get me back on the road.

Cheers,

Tony.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Yes, I agree - looking at your pictures, it certainly seems to have been a high resistance connection which caused the trouble.
Hopefully, new cables will sort it, but the price is stupid :shock: You can buy all the bits to make your own up much more cheaply!
Tony589
My Cars:

Post by Tony589 »

Hi,
I got a call at 8:40 this morning, part has arrived by overnight delivery.
Can't fault the service, cost was 34.02, I guess a good part of that would be to cover delivery so I'm not too fussed.
It would have been a bit fiddly to make up my own as it goes from the battery to five locations.
Main thing is the car is running again!
Cheers,
Tony.