C5 Brake Caliper Picture Request

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

C5 Brake Caliper Picture Request

Post by DHallworth »

As per title really, just wondering if anyone has any pictures of a rear brake caliper from a Citroen C5 HDi.

Just wondering if they changed the design between the XM and the C5 Caliper wise.

Thinking of buying a used C5 that needs 2, so also wondering where i can source then as ECP and GSF dont list them.

Many Thanks

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My understanding is that they are similar (suffer from the same corrosion problem!) - however - don't forget that the C5 uses conventional brake fluid rather than LHM, so the seals will be non compatible. I'd imagine you could get a pair from a breakers from a crashed car - worrying though that a C5 needs two new rear calipers...how may times has it been round the clock???
Richard W
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

it was an Ex Taxi, and the guy did no Preventative maintenance.

Apparently the calipers are nearly sized.

Car is on 180k miles on a Y reg.

The owner ran it dry on oil, and as a result its put a piston through the block.

However i have a 93k miles HDi engine from a 306 i am breaking to drop in.

Regards
David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Rear brake calipers can be bought from these people-very good to deal with in my experience:

http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/

You'll also need the caliper mounting bolts, which are high tensile ones, and cost a couple of quid each from a dealer. The C5 rear calipers do suffer from the normal corrosion problems, I remove mine and clean, etc. annually, which seems to work fine.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

RichardW wrote:I'd imagine you could get a pair from a breakers from a crashed car - worrying though that a C5 needs two new rear calipers...how may times has it been round the clock???
It's not uncommon for a C5 to need rear calipers at less than 75,000 miles. the small hole where the centre bolt goes through errodes away leaving the hole open at the top. also citroen decided to loctite the main bolts on the shaft of the bolts (not even on the threads) which can cause problems getting the bolts out of them.