abs / esp light on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dave.b
My Cars:

abs / esp light on

Post by dave.b »

I have an abs and esp warning light on and assumed it would be the sensor but before changing it I followed the wires through the nearside inner wing and found one connector made but a few inches further up the harness was a disconnected plug exiting the harness but no immediate signs of where it goes! It does however look too clean to have never been connected. :?
any suggestions appreciated, its a picasso 1.6 hdi.
I have taken a picture of the offending plug and wiring but cant work out how to post it here :oops: yet....
Dave.
SimonT
My Cars:

Post by SimonT »

Hiya. There's usually alot of sockets that come out of harnesses that are not used on all models I've found so I'm guessing this'll be one of those in your case.
As for posting pics, you have to pop the pic on another image hosting site like photobucket.com and link to it within you posting.
Hope that helps a bit.
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
dave.b
My Cars:

Post by dave.b »

Thanks for the reply simon, I know you are right about the extra connections on some models but still feel it doesnt look right on mine. Also thanks for the advice on posting a photo and here goes :)
[img][img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/ ... age000.jpg[/img][/img]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

some of the spare plug conectors are test points for dealers,no not that kind of dealer HE HE HE
regards malcolm
dave.b
My Cars:

Post by dave.b »

Ok I will assume the plug is surplus to requirements. :)
I have had a diagnostic check on the car that points to a permanent fault on the nearside front. Today I removed the wheel to check the sensor and found the securing stud and nut missing along with the covering cowl that the offside seems to have, the sensor was still fixed in place tightly and I removed it to clean, I replaced it and fitted it with a bolt to secure. The ring on the driveshaft did not appear to be damaged in any way. I did notice the sensor had a metal sleeve in the bolt hole and was wondering if this needed to make an earth through the sensor?
How can I check the sensor? Is it just a matter of disconnecting the plug that comes from the sensor and connects under the bonnet and check for continuity through the sensor cable, if so what result should I get in terms of resistance?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The metal tube in the sensor securing hole is probably there to prevent the plastic casing cracking when the screw is tightened.

Yes that's how you check the continuity - and you should get a resistance of about 1000 ohms.
jeremy
dave.b
My Cars:

Post by dave.b »

Thanks for the quick response Jeremy, I will check for continuity tomorrow.
Dave
dave.b
My Cars:

Post by dave.b »

Checked for continuity today and got a reading of 1475 ohms obviously a higher resistance than suggested but is it enough to indicate a problem? I was going to check the o/s to compare but the connector was too far back in the engine bay to get to properly.
Dave.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Don't know what the correct resistance for a Picasso should be. 950 odd is for things from the age of steam - like the BX - so things may have changed by now - and the easiest way would be to measure another to see if its the same or similar.
jeremy
dave.b
My Cars:

Post by dave.b »

Thanks for that, I know it makes sense but the offside one has less space around the connector making it difficult to disconnect the plug never mind get the multi meter in. :roll: I will try again tomorrow but if I cant get in there is a scrap yard not too far away with a picasso in, I will take a trip with the multi meter and try before I buy :lol:
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Whats the age & mileage of this car ? surely a 1.6 HDi picasso is still under citroen warranty ?
dave.b
My Cars:

Post by dave.b »

Well spotted..... It is in fact a 54 plate with 55,000 miles so you are correct but it has had some accident damage to the nearside, clearly how the fixing stud was missing. I have to say that since removing and cleaning the sensor and refitting it with the bolt the light does still stay on but on start-up it now goes off for a noticably longer period. A couple of seconds before but now more like 6 or 7 seconds. I wonder if it's ready to be reset?
Dave.