Berlingo Loud Knocking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hundleton1

Berlingo Loud Knocking

Post by hundleton1 »

I have a problem with my berlingo van 1.9 diesel , it has started to knock very loud from the engine, when it does this the engine light comes on as well, it seams to do it randomly, I can start it and its fine, drive for a few minutes and it starts, it can last anything from a few seconds to a few minutes then it stops again and the engine light goes off again, I does seam to loose a bit of power bit not much,

any help would be great
:D
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its a knock equivelent to once every two revolutions, its probably an intermittently blocked/sticking injector. If it is at engine speed something could be affecting the timing advance, if it has an ECU could be a fault there, or maybe with the timing sensing injector, or even the pump. If you can get it to do it ticking over, try slackening each injector pipe off in turn, this will cause the engine to run unevenly but the knocking will stop when you have isolated the correct injector. You may need to increase the tickover speed to stop it stalling when carrying this out.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

One of the injectors wil have a build-in sensor as well reading the exact injection time for the ECU. If this sensor is failing (sensor, connector, cabling etc) you will have the engine running at a basic timing setting. That will cause a severe "diesel clatter", rather frightening indeed.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
hundleton1

Post by hundleton1 »

I think it is a timing problem, it did not do it all morning today and then I hit a pothole on a left had bend and it started again, I have another check under the bonnet and when I removed the cover from the fuse board on the left hand side below the ecu and moved the cables it stopped, it has not done it since, could be loose connection.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

With this system the timing is controlled by the ECU - so if that shuts down or goes into error mode - he timing alters - and it goes to a basic position as Anders describes.

So - loose connection somewhere will affect the timing.

BEWARE loose connections - especially earths to the engine. If you search this forum you will find lengthy posts relating to timing problems with a semi electronic pump - which eventually turned out to be a blown ECU with a burnt fusible link - caused by a an earth connection left loose on a clutch change.
jeremy