Thermostat Replacement on C5 Hdi 1997 CC

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jmd
My Cars:

Thermostat Replacement on C5 Hdi 1997 CC

Post by jmd »

Can anybody advise me as to the location of the Thermostat on the 2.0 Ltr Hdi Diesel. I have previously changed it on the Xantia 1996 with the assistance of a Haynes Manual. And of course I have no manual for this car. Firstly where is it located, and are there any pitfalls. My Heater is only effective with the blower fully engaged, and the coolant gauge never past quarter range on the dial, so I reckon a new thermostat is the answer
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Here's the pic from pr.net showing the stat on the HDi: Stat

Looks pretty straightforward, as it's right on the top - at least it's not on the water pump housing behind the engine like the 2.1TD.... You'll need to work out whether you need an elevated header tank to bleed it or not. note also that the C5 HDi probably uses long life coolant, so you'd be best advised to get the right stuff from Citroen.
Richard W
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

The C5 HDI doesn't have the filler on the radiator like the old cars. The header tank is at the top.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Thanks Richard W & Bencowell, for your comments. I took the to my local Motor Factors with the intention of getting a Thermostat, and Coolant, on examining the Coolant they feel that a previous owner, or some guy at a filling station topped up the coolant level with an oily substance (perhaps LHM) through ignorance. I am taking the car to a garage to get it flushed out during the coming week, and refilled with the proper coolant